When you are installing Windows Internet Explorer 9, you may receive an error message such as “0x800F081E.” In this situation, the installation process doesn’t finish. To troubleshoot this problem, go to the following section.
- Make sure that your computer meets Internet Explorer 9 system requirements.
- Use Windows Update to install the latest updates for your computer. To do this, follow these steps:
- Run Windows Update, and then click Check for updates.
- Click <Number> important updates are available in the Windows Update window to check whether Internet Explorer 9 is included in the list of available updates. If Internet Explorer 9 is in the list, clear the check box to exclude it before you install the other updates.
Note If you receive an error message during the Windows Update process, see Fix the problem when Windows Update is not working.
- Restart the computer.
- Install Internet Explorer 9. To do this, do one of the following:
- If you excluded Internet Explorer 9 in step 2, run Windows Update, and then install Internet Explorer 9.
- Install Internet Explorer 9 from the Download Internet Explorer 9 website.
- Manually install the prerequisite components.
- If you still have issues, contact Microsoft Support.
Article ID: 2409098 - Last Review: Nov 24, 2014 - Revision: 1