You should be able to access the Windows Update website. If you can't access this site, try to use the Windows Update Troubleshooter to fix the problem. If Windows Update still doesn't start, try the following steps:
- Install the latest Windows service pack.Obtain Windows XP Service Pack 3Important If you are using Windows XP or Windows Server 2003, we strongly recommend that you install Internet Explorer 8 from the Microsoft Download Center.
Obtain Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2
Obtain Windows 2000 Service Pack 4
- Turn on Automatic Updates.
- Additional methods.
If you still can't start Windows Update on your computer, try the following methods.
- Exit all programs that are running.
- Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl, and then click OK.
- On the Automatic Updates tab, click Automatic (Recommended), and then click OK.
- Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
- Type wuauclt /detectnow, and then press Enter.