Microsoft Office 2010 Service Pack 2 (SP2) provides the latest updates for Office 2010. This service pack includes two kinds of fixes:
- Previously unreleased fixes that are included in this service pack. In addition to general product fixes, these fixes include improvements in stability, performance, and security.
- All the public updates that were released through May 2013, and all the cumulative updates that were released through April 2013.
PrerequisitesThere are no prerequisites for installing this update. You do not have to have Office 2010 SP1 installed to install Office 2010 SP2.
Restart requirementYou have to restart the computer after you apply this update.
How to obtain and install the service packMethod 1: Microsoft Update (recommended)
Note In addition to the products in the Office 2010 suite, service pack 2687455 also updates Microsoft Project 2010, Microsoft Visio 2010, and Microsoft SharePoint Designer 2010.
To download the service pack from Microsoft Update, go to the following Microsoft website:
Method 2: Download the SP2 package from Microsoft Download Center
To determine whether your version of Office is a 32-bit or 64-bit version, follow these steps:
- Open an Office 2010 application such as Microsoft Word 2010.
- On the File tab, click Help. You will see the version information in the About Microsoft <ApplicationName> section.
- The version number of Office 2010 SP2 is greater than or equal to 14.0.7015.1000.
- The version number of Office 2010 SP1 is greater than or equal to 14.0.6029.1000 but less than 14.0.7015.1000.
- The version number of the original RTM release of Office 2010 (that is, with no service pack) is greater than or equal to 14.0.4763.1000 but less than 14.0.6029.1000.
The following files are available for download from the Microsoft Download Center:
Note If you have a 32-bit version of Office 2010 installed on a 64-bit version of Windows, you should install the Office 2010 SP2 32-bit package.
Download the Microsoft Office 2010 SP2 32-bit package now.
Download the Microsoft Office 2010 SP2 64-bit package now.
For more information about how to download Microsoft support files, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
119591 How to obtain Microsoft support files from online servicesMicrosoft scanned this file for viruses. Microsoft used the most current virus-detection software that was available on the date that the file was posted. The file is stored on security-enhanced servers that help prevent any unauthorized changes to the file.
For more information about a complete list of all released SP2 desktop packages, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
2687521 List of all Office 2010 SP2 packages
Overview of Office 2010 SP2 improvementsThe following are the key areas of improvements that are offered by SP2:
- Excel 2010 SP2
- Improves the overall stability, performance, and compatibility with other versions of Excel. For a more detailed list of specific issues that the service pack fixes, please download a version of the workbook that is available below.
- Fixes issues in which the performance of Excel decreases, and Excel file sizes become larger when additional built-in styles are copied during the duplication of data between different Excel instances.
- Fixes an issue in which data validation lists that contain comma signs (,) are broken in an .xlsx or .xlsb file. This issue occurs when you set the user locale to a location that does not use comma signs (,) to separate the lists. For example, Germany uses semicolons (;) to separate the lists. When you set Germany as the location, data validation lists that contain commas are all broken.
- Fixes an issue in which an .xlsx file created in Microsoft Office 2013 that contains an App bound to a table is corrupted on save. Additionally, it addresses the issue in which all Agave formulas in the workbook sheet are removed from the file.
- Outlook 2010 SP2
- Fixes the issue regarding the message size of certain long email messages. Additionally, it fixes an issue that occurs when you perform a spell check before you send an email message.
- PowerPoint 2010 SP2
- Improves the quality of videos in a presentation after the videos are optimized or compressed by PowerPoint.
- Fixes issues that occur when you co-author a presentation with other users at the same time.
- Fixes an issue in which Mozilla FireFox crashes when you try to view a presentation in PowerPoint Online on a Mac computer that has Microsoft Silverlight 3 or Silverlight 4 installed.
- Word 2010 SP2
- Fixes issues regarding bookmarks, fields, track changes, templates, tables, object wrapping, autocorrect options, and email addresses. Additionally, it fixes general reliability issues that occur when you post a blog entry on Microsoft SharePoint Server 2013 and Microsoft Office 365 blogs.
Downloadable list of issues that the service pack fixes
The following workbook is available for download. This workbook lists the issues that are fixed by this service pack.
Download the Microsoft Office and SharePoint 2010 Service Pack 2 Changes.xlsx package now.
Note This workbook is available only in English.
Known issues and behavior changes
The following Microsoft Knowledge Base (KB) article describes the known issues or behavior changes that occur when you install this service pack:
2687520 Known issues when you install Office 2010 SP2 and SharePoint 2010 SP2
For more information about this service pack that includes a list of files affected, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
2687523 Technical details about the Office 2010 SP2 releases
Article ID: 2687455 - Last Review: Apr 17, 2014 - Revision: 1