Microsoft makes no warranties and excludes all representations, warranties, and conditions whether express, implied, or statutory. These include but are not limited to representations, warranties, or conditions of title, non-infringement, satisfactory condition, merchantability, and fitness for a particular purpose, with regard to any service, solution, product, or any other materials or information. In no event will Microsoft be liable for any third-party solution that this article mentions.
Note Before you uninstall your virus scanner, make sure that the Windows Firewall is enabled, and make sure that programs that were not previously approved by you do not have access to the Internet through the firewall.
An antivirus program helps protect your computer from viruses. Don't download or open files from sources that you do not trust, visit websites that you do not trust, or open email attachments when your antivirus program is disabled. For more information about computer viruses, see Microsoft Knowledge Base article 129972: Computer viruses: description, prevention, and recovery.
If you aren't sure what security programs are installed on the computer, you can use the AppRemover utility from OPSWAT, Inc. to identity the software. To obtain AppRemover, visit http://www.appremover.com/.
After you identify the security programs that are installed on the computer or have been partially removed from the computer, you can use a cleanup tool or instructions from the security program manufacturer to completely remove the program.
The following list provides links to the instructions and cleanup tools that are available from many security program manufacturers:
- Avast Uninstall Utility: http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility
- AVG Remover Tool: http://www.avg.com/us-en/utilities
- Avira RegistryCleaner: http://www.avira.com/en/downloads#tools
- BitDefender: How to uninstall BitDefender: http://www.bitdefender.com/support/How-to-uninstall-BitDefender-333.html
- BullGuard: Uninstalling BullGuard: http://www.bullguard.com/support/product-guides/bullguard-internet-security-guides/uninstall.aspx
- ESET: How do I manually uninstall my Windows ESET security product?: http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2289
- F Secure: Uninstalling F-Secure Internet Security/Anti-Virus: http://www.f-secure.com/en/web/home_global/support/article/kba/2109
- Kaspersky: Removal tool for Kaspersky Lab products: http://support.kaspersky.com/kis2010/service?qid=208279463
- McAfee: How to uninstall or reinstall supported McAfee consumer products using the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR.exe): http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx?id=CS41013&lang=en_US&prior_tid=2&AnswerID=16777217&turl==http%3A%2F%2Fkb.mcafee.com%2Finfocenter%2Findex%3Fpage%3Dcontent%26id%3DCS41013%26actp%3Dsearch%26viewlocale%3Den_US
- Norton Removal Tool: https://www-secure.symantec.com/norton-support/jsp/help-solutions.jsp?lg=english&ct=united+states&docid=20080710133834EN&product=home&version=1&pvid=f-home
- Panada Security: http://www.pandasecurity.com/search/?hl=en&lr=lang_en&nq=site%3awww.pandasecurity.com%2f&term=uninstall
- PC Tools: How do I uninstall ThreatFire?: http://www.pctools.com/threatfire/answers/id/760/
- Prevx: Prevx2.0 Removal Tool (and Prevx1): http://info.prevx.com/removaltool.asp
- Spybot Search and Destroy: How to uninstall: http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/uninstall.html
- TrendMicro: How to uninstall my Trend Micro program using the Trend Micro Diagnostic Toolkit: http://esupport.trendmicro.com/Pages/How-do-I-remove-old-or-new-versions-of-Trend-Micro-products-in-my-comp.aspx
- Windows Live OneCare: http://download.microsoft.com/download/4/c/b/4cb845e7-1076-437b-852a-7842a8ab13c8/OneCareCleanUp.exe
- ZoneAlarm: Complete full uninstall of ZoneAlarm: Go to http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en-us/support/zonealarm-service-support.htm, and the search for "uninstall".
Article ID: 2688686 - Last Review: Jul 12, 2013 - Revision: 1