- You increase the MaxMemoryPerShellMB quota (for example, you increase the quota to 1 gigabyte (GB)) on a computer that has one of the following configurations:
- Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2 (SP2) and Windows Management Framework (WMF) 3.0 are installed.
- Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) and WMF 3.0 are installed.
- Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 and WMF 3.0 are installed.
- Windows 8 is installed.
- Windows Server 2012 is installed.
- You execute a Windows Remote Shell (WinRS) command that requires lots of memory, such as 500 megabytes (MB) of memory.
Hotfix informationA supported hotfix is available from Microsoft. However, this hotfix is intended to correct only the problem that is described in this article. Apply this hotfix only to systems that are experiencing the problem described in this article. This hotfix might receive additional testing. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this problem, we recommend that you wait for the next software update that contains this hotfix.
If the hotfix is available for download, there is a "Hotfix download available" section at the top of this Knowledge Base article. If this section does not appear, contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support to obtain the hotfix.
Note If additional issues occur or if any troubleshooting is required, you might have to create a separate service request. The usual support costs will apply to additional support questions and issues that do not qualify for this specific hotfix. For a complete list of Microsoft Customer Service and Support telephone numbers or to create a separate service request, visit the following Microsoft Web site: Note The "Hotfix download available" form displays the languages for which the hotfix is available. If you do not see your language, it is because a hotfix is not available for that language.
PrerequisitesTo apply this hotfix, you must be running one of the operating systems:
- Windows Server 2008 SP2
- Windows 7 SP1
- Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1
- Windows 8
- Windows Server 2012
Registry informationTo use the hotfix in this package, you do not have to make any changes to the registry.
Restart requirementYou must restart the computer after you apply this hotfix.
Hotfix replacement informationThis hotfix does not replace a previously released hotfix.
For more information about WMF 3.0 for Windows Server 2008 SP2, see Description of Windows Management Framework 3.0 for Windows Server 2008 SP2 .
For more information about WMF 3.0 for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, see Description of Windows Management Framework 3.0 for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 .
For more information about software update terminology, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: