Microsoft has released the Microsoft Office for Mac 2011 14.5.6 update. In addition to the application improvements that are mentioned in this article, Office for Mac 2011 is now available as a subscription offering. For more information about subscriptions, see Frequently Asked Questions. This update has prerequisites.
Issues that the update fixes
This update provides the following fixes to improve Mac OS X El Capitan compatibility:
- The hang situation that occurs during an account sync operation in Microsoft Outlook for Mac 2011 is fixed. This problem is described in KB 3098396 .
Download and install the update
How to obtain the updateThe following file is available for download from the Microsoft Download Center:
For more information about how to download Microsoft support files, see how to obtain Microsoft support files from online services .
Updated filesFor a complete list of the files that this update adds or changes, double-click the update installer, and then click Show Files on the File menu.
PrerequisitesBefore you install the Office for Mac 2011 14.5.6 update, make sure that you have Office for Mac 2011 14.1.0 or a later version installed on your computer. Also, make sure that the computer is running Mac OS X 10.5.8 or a later version of the Mac OS X operating system.
To verify that the computer meets this prerequisite, click About This Mac on the Apple menu.
To verify that Office for Mac 2011 14.1.0 is installed on your computer, follow these steps:
- On the Go menu, click Applications.
- Open the Microsoft Office 2011 folder, and then start any Office application. (For example, start Microsoft Word).
- On the application menu, click About <application>.
- In the About <application> dialog box, note the version number that is displayed. The number should be 14.1.0 or a later version.