Device Manager displays only non-Plug and Play devices, drivers, and printers when you click Show hidden devices on the View menu. Devices that you install that are not connected to the computer (such as a Universal Serial Bus [USB] device or "ghosted" devices) are not displayed in Device Manager, even when you click Show hidden devices.
To work around this behavior and display disconnected devices when you click Show hidden devices:
For Windows 8 and later, skip to step 3.
For Windows 7 and earlier, start with step 1:
If you are a developer or power user and you want to be able to view devices that are not connected to your computer, set this environment variable globally:
- Click Start, point to All Programs, point to
Accessories, and then click Command Prompt.
- At a command prompt, type the following command , and then press ENTER:set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
- For Windows 8 and later: From Start, search for device manager, and select Device Manager from the search results.
For Windows 7 and earlier: Type the following command a command prompt, and then press ENTER:
- Troubleshoot the devices and drivers in Device Manager.
Note Click Show hidden devices on the View menu in Device Manager before you can see devices that are not connected to the computer.
- When you finish troubleshooting, close Device Manager.
- Type exit at the command prompt.
Note For Windows 7 and earlier, when you close the command prompt window, Window clears the devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 variable that you set in step 2 and prevents ghosted devices from being displayed when you click Show hidden devices.
- Right-click My Computer.
- Click Properties.
- Click the Advanced tab.
- Click the Environment Variables tab.
- Set the variables in the System Variables box.
In Device Manager, there are two types of hidden devices in addition to the devices that are displayed:
- Typical, hidden devices that are not displayed (non-Plug and Play drivers, printers, and so on)
- Phantom devices that are not connected to the computer
Article ID: 315539 - Last Review: Jan 18, 2017 - Revision: 6
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows 10