This update adds Windows Journal to applicable system installations. Before you install this update, see the Prerequisites section.
About this update
The message box contains Yes, No, and Help option buttons for responding to the message. The default action is No. Both Yes and No options close the message box. Yes continues opening the file in Journal. No closes the message box without opening the file. Help opens a Knowledge Base article in your default browser that contains more details.
Note The message box appears when Windows Journal is asked to open a .jnt or .jtp file in any circumstances.
Known issues in this update
- The Windows Journal application is only available for the following languages:
- Simplified Chinese
- Users who install the Windows Journal application and then upgrade to Windows 10 Version 1607 will find that the Windows Journal application is no longer functional.
Repair the Windows Journal application installation from Settings > System > Apps and Features.
- The Windows Journal Note Writer is deprecated.
Note The Journal Note Writer is a printer driver that lets users create Journal files by printing documents from any application.
- The Windows Journal application is not supported for installation or use on any Windows Server system.
- The Windows Journal application is not supported for installation or use on any Windows Vista system. Please see Windows Journal update for Windows Vista SP2 (KB3185662) for more details.
How to get this update
Microsoft Download CenterThe following files are available for download from the Microsoft Download Center.
|All supported x86-based versions of Windows||Download the package now.|
|All supported x64-based versions of Windows||Download the package now.|
For more information about how to download Microsoft support files, select the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Update detail information
PrerequisitesTo apply this update, you must have Update for Windows Journal component removal (3161102) installed on Windows 10, Windows 10 Version 1511, Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1).
On Windows 7 SP1, you must also have the optional "Tablet PC Components" feature installed.