Surface has two integrated cameras that you can use to make video calls, record videos, and take pictures.
- Take photos and record videos
- View photos and videos
- Edit photos and videos
- Change camera options
- Troubleshoot Surface cameras
By default, the built-in Camera app is ready to take photos, but you can easily switch between photo and video mode. For info about how to open the Camera app and take a photo or record a video, see Camera app and webcams help.
- A small privacy light appears near the active camera when you’re using it. The privacy light can’t be turned off.
- Not sure where to find the cameras on your Surface? See Surface features.
Adjust the focus
The rear-facing camera Surface devices has an autofocus lens that can help improve the sharpness of your photos and videos. The lens automatically focuses on the main subject on the screen, but you can change the focus to a different area before taking a picture or while recording a video. The front camera has a fixed-focus lens.
To learn more about autofocus, see Using autofocus on Surface 3, Surface Pro 4, and Surface Book.
This doesn’t apply to Surface Pro, Surface Pro 2, and Surface Pro 3.
By default, your photos and videos are saved to the Camera roll on your Surface. You can choose to save your pictures to OneDrive so you can access them from any web-connected device. For more info, see Using OneDrive on Surface.
You can also change where your pictures are saved on your Surface. For more info, see Change camera settings in Camera app and webcams help.
To change where your pictures are saved:
You can edit your photos and videos in the Photos app. For more info, see Enhance and edit photos.
Another option for video editing is to use the Movie Moments app, which is available free from Microsoft Store. For more info, see Movie Moments app help.
Change camera settings
You can zoom in or out, switch between the front and back cameras, change the photo aspect ratio, show or hide framing grid lines, adjust video settings, and change what happens when you press and hold the camera button. To learn how, see Camera app and webcams help.
By default, pressing and holding the camera button records a video, but you can change the setting so that holding the camera button takes a quick series of still photos instead.
Turn off the camera shutter sound
You can turn off the shutter sound the camera makes by muting the volume on your Surface.
- In the task bar, select Volume and slide the slider all the way down to mute the sound.
Try these solutions to fix any issues you might be having with the cameras on your Surface.
Make sure apps can use the cameras
Go to Start and select Settings > Privacy > Camera, and make sure Let apps use my camera is on.
Download the latest updates for your Surface and Windows
See Install Surface and Windows updates to learn how
Update the camera drivers
- Enter Device Manager in the search box next to Start, and then select Device Manager in the results expand Imaging Devices.
- Right-click the camera that’s having problems (look for Microsoft Camera Front, Microsoft Camera Rear, Microsoft LifeCam Front, or Microsoft LifeCam Rear) and select Update.
- Select Search automatically for updated driver software, and then follow the on-screen instructions.