This article describes the issues that are fixed in Update Rollup 13 for Microsoft System Center 2012 R2 Data Protection Manager. It also contains the installation instructions for this update.
Note Existing Data Protection Manager to Windows Azure customers should upgrade to the latest agent (version 2.0.9070.0 or later). If the latest agent is not installed, online backups may fail, and no Data Protection Manager-to-Windows Azure operation will work.
- Individual file location recovery (ILR) for VMWare VMs fails for the latest scheduled recovery point.
- After the upgrade to Update Rollup 12, backup agent upgrades and installations fail on Windows 7 clients.
- While synchronizing a deduped volume, alternate synchronizations raise an alert that synchronization of a few files failed, which is resolved for the subsequent synchronization.
Update packages for Data Protection Manager are available from Microsoft Update or by manual download.
To obtain and install an update package from Microsoft Update, follow these steps on a computer that has a Data Protection Manager component installed:
- Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
- In Control Panel, double-click Windows Update.
- In the Windows Update window, click Check Online for updates from Microsoft Update.
- Click Important updates are available.
- Select the update rollup package, and then click OK.
- Click Install updates to install the update package.
Go to the following website to manually download the update packages from the Microsoft Update Catalog:
For information about how to download Microsoft support files, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
119591 How to obtain Microsoft support files from online services
Microsoft scanned this file for viruses. Microsoft used the most current virus-detection software that was available on the date that the file was posted. The file is stored on security-enhanced servers that help prevent any unauthorized changes to the file.
To install this update for Data Protection Manager, follow these steps:
- Before you install this update, make a backup of the Data Protection Manager database.
- Install this rollup package on the server that's running System Center 2012 R2 Data Protection Manager. To do this, run Microsoft Update on the server.
- In the Data Protection Manager Administrator Console, update the protection agents. To do this, use one of the following methods.
Method 1: Update the protection agents from the Data Protection Manager Administrator Console
- Open the Data Protection Manager Administrator Console.
- Click the Management tab, and then click the Agents tab.
- From the Protected Computer list, select a computer, and then click Update in the Action pane.
- Click Yes, and then click Update Agents.
- Obtain the update protection agent package from the following directory on the System Center 2012 R2 Data Protection Manager server:
- Run the appropriate DPMProtectionAgent.msp package on each protected server, depending on the architecture of the agent.
- Open the Data Protection Manager Administrator Console on the System Center 2012 R2 Data Protection Manager server.
- Click the Management tab, and then click the Agents tab. Select the protected server, update the information, and then verify that the agent version number is 4.2.1594.0.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.
Article ID: 4021873 - Last Review: May 23, 2017 - Revision: 15