This security update resolves vulnerabilities in Microsoft Office that could allow remote code execution if a user opens a specially crafted Office file. To learn more about these vulnerabilities, see Microsoft Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures CVE-2018-8238 and Microsoft Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures CVE-2018-8311.
Note To apply this security update, you must have the release version of Skype for Business 2016 installed on the computer.
Be aware that the update in the Microsoft Download Center applies to the Microsoft Installer (.msi)-based edition of Office 2016. It doesn't apply to the Office 2016 Click-to-Run editions, such as Microsoft Office 365 Home (see Determining your Office version).
Improvements and fixes
This security update contains the following improvements and fixes:
- Rate My Call privacy statement incorrectly redirects to Lync 2010 privacy statement
- You're prompted for Exchange credentials after switching network in a Skype for Business hybrid environment
- Right-to-left languages not aligned correctly and call notification strings shown in the wrong direction in Skype for Business 2016
- Japanese characters in a Skype for Business 2016 online meeting are garbled and can't be read correctly
- Can't input messages until clicking participants list after taking control in screen sharing in Skype for Business 2016
- Letters such as "y" and "g" aren't shown fully in minimum IM text window in Skype for Business 2016
How to get and install the update
Method 1: Microsoft Update
This update is available from Microsoft Update. When you turn on automatic updating, this update will be downloaded and installed automatically. For more information about how to get security updates automatically, see Windows Update: FAQ.
Method 2: Microsoft Update Catalog
To get the stand-alone package for this update, go to the Microsoft Update Catalog website.
Method 3: Microsoft Download Center
You can get the stand-alone update package through the Microsoft Download Center. Follow the installation instructions on the download page to install the update.
To apply this update, you must have either of the following updates installed:
- 3203472 August 1, 2017, update for Office 2016 (KB3203472)
- 4011099 September 5, 2017, update for Office 2016 (KB4011099)
Security update deployment information
For deployment information about this update, see security update deployment information: July 10, 2018.
Security update replacement information
This security update replaces previously released security update 4011159.
File hash information
|File name||SHA1 hash||SHA256 hash|
The English (United States) version of this software update installs files that have the attributes that are listed in the following tables. The dates and times for these files are listed in Coordinated Universal Time (UTC). The dates and times for these files on your local computer are displayed in your local time together with your current daylight saving time (DST) bias. Additionally, the dates and times may change when you perform certain operations on the files.