This article describes an update that further improves the reliability of Windows Server Update Services (WSUS). This update applies to the following:
- Windows Server Update Services 3.0 Service Pack 2 (SP2) on all applicable and supported platforms
- This update includes the security update and fixes that were part of KB2938066.
This update fixes the following issue:
- WSUS update metadata processing can cause clients to time out and return a 0x8024401c error.
How to obtain this update
Microsoft Download Center
This update is available for manual download and installation from the Microsoft Download Center.
For more information about how to download Microsoft support files, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
119591 How to obtain Microsoft support files from online services
Microsoft scanned this file for viruses. Microsoft used the most current virus-detection software that was available on the date that the file was posted. The file is stored on security-enhanced servers that help prevent any unauthorized changes to the file.
How to apply this update
We recommend that you synchronize all WSUS servers after you apply this update. If you have a hierarchy of WSUS servers, apply this update, and then synchronize your servers from the top of the hierarchy. To synchronize your servers in this manner, follow these steps.
Note Before WSUS 3.0 SP2 servers (without fix 2828185 or later updates) can manage computers that are running Windows 8, Windows Server 2012, or a newer OS version, you must complete the following steps:
- Apply update 4039929 to the WSUS server that synchronizes with Microsoft Update.
- Start the synchronization.
- Wait for the synchronization to succeed.
Repeat these steps for each WSUS server that synchronizes to the server that you just updated.
Note The following steps aren't required if you have already installed update 2938066.
- If you use the Local Publishing feature from a remote WSUS console, after you apply the update to your WSUS Server, the remote WSUS consoles must also be updated so that the API versions match.
- The IIS and WSUS services must be stopped to prevent the database from being accessed while the Network Load Balancing (NLB) clusters are upgraded. For more information about how to upgrade NLB, see the "How to upgrade NLB on all computers" section.
- When a downstream WSUS 3.2 server is configured to communicate with its upstream server over HTTPS, TLS 1.0 must be enabled on both the upstream and downstream WSUS servers.
Note For WSUS 3.0 SP2, special considerations of earlier updates are also applicable because this update is cumulative.
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed in the "Applies to" section.