This security update resolves a vulnerability in the Microsoft .NET Framework that could allow remote code execution when Microsoft .NET Framework processes untrusted input. An attacker who successfully exploits this vulnerability in software by using the .NET Framework could take control of an affected system. An attacker could then install programs; view, change, or delete data; or create new accounts that have full user rights. Users whose accounts are configured to have fewer user rights on the system could be less affected than users who operate by using administrative user rights.
To exploit the vulnerability, an attacker must first convince the user to open a malicious document or application.
This security update addresses the vulnerability by correcting how the .NET Framework validates untrusted input. To learn more about this vulnerability, see Microsoft Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures CVE-2017-8759.
- If you install a language pack after you install this update, you must reinstall this update. Therefore, we recommend that you install any language packs that you need before you install this update. For more information, see Add language packs to Windows.
Update replacement information
Additional information about this security update
- 4040973 Description of the Security and Quality Rollup for the .NET Framework 4.6, 4.6.1, 4.6.2, and 4.7 for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 and for the .NET Framework 4.6 for Windows Server 2008 SP2: September 12, 2017
- 4040977 Description of the Security and Quality Rollup for the .NET Framework 4.5.2 for Windows 7 SP1, Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 SP2: September 12, 2017
- 4040978 Description of the Security and Quality Rollup for the .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 for Windows Server 2008 SP2: September 12, 2017
How to obtain help and support for this security update
- Help for installing updates: Windows Update FAQ
- Security solutions for IT professionals: TechNet Security Support and Troubleshooting
- Help for protecting your Windows-based products and services from viruses and malware: Microsoft Secure
- Local support according to your country: International Support