This article describes improvements and issues that are fixed in Update Rollup 4 for Microsoft System Center 2016 Data Protection Manager. This article also contains the installation instructions for this update. See more information about this update.
Note Existing Data Protection Manager to Windows Azure customers should upgrade to the latest agent (version 2.0.9085.0 or a later version). If the latest agent is not installed, online backups may fail.
Backup storage migration
With this update installed, you can now migrate your backup storage between volumes. This enables you to optimize storage usage, as you can choose to move and store data sources on volumes that are best suited to optimize performance. You can also migrate data sources when a volume is filled with backups and can't be extended.
DPM 2016 with Modern Backup Storage accepts volumes to store backups, and formats the selected volumes to ReFS. While DPM excludes system volumes in the list of volumes that are available to be formatted, additional volumes can be configured to be excluded from the list based on drive letter or mountpoint path. This avoids accidental selection of these volumes as backup volumes.
Support for TLS 1.2
TLS 1.2 is a secure method of communication that is recommended by Microsoft. For DPM, TLS 1.2 is applicable for certificate-based authentication and protecting workloads to cloud.
For more information about how to set up, configure, and run your environment with TLS 1.2, see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
4051111 TLS 1.2 Protocol Support Deployment Guide for System Center 2016
Custom size allocation
When you create a Protection Group to back up files and folders, size calculation can take a long time if the folders contain many files. You can changing a registry key to instruct DPM to accept the volume size as default instead of calculating the size of each file, thereby saving time.
Optimized CC for RCT VMs
Optimized consistency check for Hyper-V RCT based VM backup eliminates the storage bloat caused by CC operation of RCT VM and also improves the performance of this operation.
Improvements and issues that are fixed
- BMR and System State data source backups consume more storage when you use Modern Backup Storage.
- When you configure Tape Library sharing, SetSharedDpmDatabase.exe command crashes when SQL 2012 is used as the DPM database.
- If a disk backup is in progress, tape backup jobs of the data source may fail.
- Alternate synchronization jobs for files and folders on a deduped volume raise failed files alerts incorrectly. Failed files log links in failed files alerts doesn't show the failed files.
- If many data sources are protected by the primary DPM server, enabling protection from the secondary DPM server may fail and return error 36.
- When you try to recover files and folders from Azure, some items in the online recovery point are not visible in the user interface when the item has a path length longer than 256 characters.
- Console crashes occure while enabling protection of a file share that is protected by a primary DPM server from a secondary DPM server.
- The user interface stops responding for several minutes when triggering a Consistency check job.
- Severity of the alert that is raised when an online backup fails due to new disk backups present since the last online backup is lowered from “Critical” to “Informational.”
How to obtain Update Rollup 4 for System Center 2016 Data Protection Manager
Update packages for Data Protection Manager are available from Microsoft Update or by manual download.
To obtain and install an update package from Microsoft Update, follow these steps on a computer that has a Data Protection Manager component installed:
- Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
- In Control Panel, double-click Windows Update.
- In the Windows Update window, click Check Online for updates from Microsoft Update.
- Click Important updates are available.
- Select the Update Rollup package, and then click OK.
- Click Install updates to install the update package.
Go to the following website to manually download the update package from the Microsoft Update Catalog:
For information about how to download Microsoft support files, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
119591 How to obtain Microsoft support files from online services
Microsoft scanned this file for viruses. Microsoft used the most current virus-detection software that was available on the date that the file was posted. The file is stored on security-enhanced servers that help prevent any unauthorized changes to the file.
Installation instructions for Data Protection Manager
To install this update for Data Protection Manager, follow these steps:
- Before you install this update, make a backup of the Data Protection Manager database.
- Install this rollup package on the server that's running System Center 2016 Data Protection Manager. To do this, run Microsoft Update on the server.
- In the Data Protection Manager Administrator Console, update the protection agents. To do this, use one of the following methods.
Method 1: Update the protection agents from the Data Protection Manager Administrator Console
- Open the Data Protection Manager Administrator Console.
- Click the Management tab, and then click the Agents tab.
- In the Protected Computer list, select a computer, and then click Update in the Action pane.
- Click Yes, and then click Update Agents.
Method 2: Update the protection agents on the protected servers
- Obtain the update protection agent package from the following directory on the System Center 2016 Data Protection Manager server.
The installation packages are as follows:
For x86-based updates: i386\1033\DPMProtectionAgent_KB4043316.msp
For x64-based updates: amd64\1033\DPMProtectionAgent_KB4043316_AMD64.msp
- Run the appropriate DPMProtectionAgent.msp package on each protected server, depending on the architecture of the agent.
- Open the Data Protection Manager Administrator Console on the System Center 2016 Data Protection Manager server.
- Click the Management tab, and then click the Agents tab. Select the protected server, update the information, and then verify that the agent version number is 5.0.342.0.