About Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7.2
Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7.2 is a highly compatible, in-place update to .NET Framework 4, 4.5, 4.5.1, 4.5.2, 4.6, 4.6.1, 4.6.2, 4.7, and 4.7.1.
- The offline package can be used in situations in which the web installer cannot be used because of a lack of Internet connectivity. This package is larger than the web installer and does not include the language packs. We recommend that you use the web installer instead of the offline installer for optimal efficiency and bandwidth requirements.
- When you install this package, the following packages or updates are installed per your operating system:
- In Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1) and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, .NET Framework 4.7.2 is listed as an installed product under the Programs and Features item in Control Panel.
- In Windows Server 2012, Update for Microsoft Windows (KB4054542) is listed under the Installed Updates item in Control Panel.
- In Windows 8.1 or Windows Server 2012 R2, Update for Microsoft Windows (KB4054566) is displayed under the Installed Updates item in Control Panel.
- In Windows 10 Anniversary Update (version 1607), Windows 10 Creators Update (version 1703) and Windows Server 2016, Update for Microsoft Windows (KB4054590) is listed under the Installed Updates item in Control Panel.
- In Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (version 1709), Update for Microsoft Windows (KB4073120) is listed under the Installed Updates item in Control Panel.
Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7.2 is available on Windows Update and on Windows Server Update Service (WSUS). It will be offered as a recommended update on Windows Update.
Note The package installer (NDP472-KB4054530-x86-x64-AllOS-ENU.exe) was updated on July 10, 2018. If you downloaded the installer before July 10, 2018, we recommend that you download the latest version (4.7.3081.0) of the installer to get the additional fixes included in the update.
The following files are available for download from the Microsoft Download Center:
- For all Windows operating systems except Windows RT 8.1:
Download the Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7.2 offline installer package now.
- For Windows RT 8.1:
Download the Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7.2 package now.
For information about how to download Microsoft support files, see How to obtain Microsoft support files from online services.
Issues that are fixed in this update
SQL Server (SQL)
- Fixes an issue in which the .NET Framework API SqlConnection.ConnectionString property is used to set a null or empty connection string. In this situation, a Null Reference Exception (NRE) occurs when you use the API together with .NET Framework 4.7.2. [611802, System.Data.dll, Bug]
- Fixes an issue in which you connect to Azure SQL DB and MultipleActiveResultSets=true is used in the connection string together with System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection. In this situation, the async query operations cause a bad TDS protocol request stream to be sent from the client. This causes the Async Query APIs to fail. [620109, System.Data.dll , Bug]
Windows Presentation Framework (WPF)
- Adds an AppContext switch that opts out of some work that was done during AppDomain or process shutdown. This issue can reduce (but not eliminate) the possibility of a crash in applications that make unwarranted assumptions about the timing of the finalizer thread. [593963, WindowsBase.dll, Bug]
- Fixes a crash in WPF that occurs when you multiple characters are replaced by a single character (in a different language than the original text) by using IMEPad. [605996, PresentationFramework.dll, Bug]
- Combo box grouped items now report children correctly through UIAutomation. [605922, PresentationFramework.dll, Bug]
For known issues with .NET Framework 4.7.2 see Known issues for .NET Framework 4.7.2.
This version of .NET Framework runs side-by-side with .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 and earlier versions. However, it performs an in-place update for .NET Framework 4, 4.5, 4.5.1, 4.5.2, 4.6, 4.6.1, 4.6.2, 4.7, and 4.7.1.
Command-line switches for this update
For more information about the various command-line options that are supported by this update, see the “Command-Line options” section in .NET Framework Deployment Guide for Developers.
You may have to restart the computer after you install this update. We recommend that you exit all applications that are using .NET Framework before you install this update.
Supported operating systems
Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7.2 (Offline Installer) supports the following operating systems:
- Windows Server 2016 (version 1709)
- Windows 10 Anniversary Update (version 1607) (x86 and x64)
- Windows 10 Creators Update (version 1703) (x86 and x64)
- Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (version 1709) (x86 and x64)
- Windows Server 2012 R2 (x64)
- Windows 8.1 (x86 and x64)
- Windows Server 2012 (x64)
- Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 (x64)
- Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (x86 and x64)