Improvements and fixes
This security update includes improvements and fixes that were a part of update KB4088881 (released March 23, 2018) and addresses the following issues:
Addresses an issue where a new Ethernet Network Interface Card (NIC) that has default settings may replace the previously existing NIC, causing network issues
Addresses an issue where static IP address settings can be lost
Windows Update and WSUS will offer this update to applicable Windows client and server operating systems regardless of the existence or value of the "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\QualityCompat\cadca5fe-87d3-4b96-b7fb-a231484277cc" registry setting. This change has been made to protect user data.
Improves reliability in the kernel, and addresses an issue that can cause applications to have unexpected memory contents on multiprocessor systems.
- Addresses an issue with printing content generated by ActiveX in Internet Explorer.
- Addresses an access violation on certain pages in Internet Explorer when it renders SVGs under high load.
- Addresses an issue that, in some instances, prevents Internet Explorer from identifying custom controls.
- Addresses a stop error that occurred when the previous month’s update was applied to a 32-bit (x86) computer with a Physical Address Extension (PAE) mode disabled.
- Security updates to Internet Explorer, Microsoft scripting engine, Microsoft graphics component, Windows Server, Windows datacenter networking, Windows virtualization and kernel, and Windows app platform and frameworks.
For more information about the resolved security vulnerabilities, see the Security Update Guide.
- This update supercedes update 4100480, Windows kernel update for CVE-2018-1038.
- Resync is required to get newer revision of this KB for WSUS environment
Known issues in this update
After installing KB4056897 or any other recent monthly updates, SMB servers may experience a memory leak for some scenarios. This occurs when the requested path traverses a symbolic link, mount point, or directory junction and the registry key is set to 1:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\LanManServer\Parameters\EnableEcp
|This issue is resolved in KB4103718.|
|A stop error occurs on computers that don't support Streaming Single Instructions Multiple Data (SIMD) Extensions 2 (SSE2).||Upgrade your machines with a processor that supports SSE2 or virtualize those machines.|
|There is an issue with Windows and a third-party software that is related to a missing file (oem<number>.inf). Because of this issue, after you apply this update, the network interface controller will stop working.|| |
a. Alternatively, install the drivers for the network device by right-clicking the device and choosing Update. Then choose Search automatically for updated driver software or Browse my computer for driver software.
|After installing this update, some Windows 7.0 SP1 files reverted to older versions.||This issue is resolved in KB4103713.|