This update is included in the June 2018 Preview of the Quality Rollups for .NET Framework 3.5, 4.5.2, 4.6, 4.6.1, 4.6.2, 4.7 and 4.7.1 for Windows Server 2012 (KB 4291495). This update was previously included in the Security and Quality rollup (KB 4099634) on May 8, 2018 and Preview of Quality rollup (KB 4098968) on May 15, 2018.
This update resolves a vulnerability in Microsoft .NET Framework that could cause denial of service when .NET Framework and .NET core components process XML documents incorrectly. An attacker who has successfully exploited this vulnerability could cause a denial of service against a .NET Framework application. To learn more about this vulnerability, see Microsoft Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures CVE-2018-0765.
Additionally, this update resolves a security feature bypass vulnerability in Windows that could allow an attacker to bypass Device Guard. An attacker who successfully exploits this vulnerability could circumvent a User Mode Code Integrity (UMCI) policy on the computer. To learn more about this vulnerability, see Microsoft Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures CVE-2018-1039.
- All updates for .NET Framework 4.6 for Windows Server 2008 require the d3dcompiler_47.dll update to be installed. We recommend that you install the included d3dcompiler_47.dll update before you apply this update. For more information about the d3dcompiler_47.dll update, see KB 4019478.
- If you install a language pack after you install this update, you must reinstall this update. Therefore, we recommend that you install any language packs that you need before you install this update. For more information, see Add language packs to Windows.
Additional information about this security update
For more information about this security update as it relates to Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
4099633 Security and Quality Rollup for .NET Framework 3.5.1, 4.5.2, 4.6, 4.6.1, 4.6.2, 4.7, and 4.7.1 updates for Windows 7 SP1 and Server 2008 R2 SP1 (KB 4099633)
4291493 June 2018 Preview of the Quality Rollups for .NET Framework 3.5.1, 4.5.2, 4.6, 4.6.1, 4.6.2, 4.7 and 4.7.1 for Windows 7 SP1 and Server 2008 R2 SP1 (KB 4291493)
How to obtain and install the update
Method 1: Windows Update
This update is available through Windows Update. When you turn on automatic updating, this update will be downloaded and installed automatically. For more information about how to get security updates automatically, see Windows Update: FAQ.
Method 2: Windows Software Update Services (WSUS)
On your WSUS server, follow these steps:
- Click Start, click Administrative Tools, and then click Microsoft Windows Server Update Services 3.0.
- Expand ComputerName, and then click Action.
- Click Import Updates.
- WSUS opens a browser window in which you may be prompted to install an ActiveX control. You must install the ActiveX control to continue.
- After the control is installed, you see the Microsoft Update Catalog screen. Enter 4099633 for the Security and Quality Rollup or enter 4291493 for the Preview of Quality Rollup into the Search box, and then click Search.
- Locate the .NET Framework packages that match the operating systems, languages, and processors in your environment. Click Add to add them to your basket.
- After you select all the packages that you need, click View Basket.
- To import the packages to your WSUS server, click Import.
- After the packages are imported, click Close to return to WSUS.
The updates are now available for installation through WSUS.
Update deployment information
For deployment details for this security update, go to the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
20180508 Security update deployment information: May 8, 2018
Update removal information
Note We do not recommend that you remove any security update. To remove this update, use the Programs and Features item in Control Panel.
Update restart information
This update does not require a system restart after you apply it unless files that are being updated are locked or are being used.
Update replacement information
The English (United States) version of this software update installs files that have the attributes that are listed in the following tables. The dates and the times for these files are listed in Coordinated Universal Time (UTC). The dates and the times for these files on your local computer are displayed in your local time together with your current daylight saving time (DST) bias. Additionally, the dates and the times may change when you perform certain operations on the files.
Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 file information
The MANIFEST files (.manifest) and MUM files (.mum) that are installed are not listed.
How to obtain help and support for this security update
- Help for installing updates: Windows Update FAQ
- Security solutions for IT professionals: TechNet Security Support and Troubleshooting
- Help for protecting your Windows-based products and services from viruses and malware: Microsoft Secure
- Local support according to your country: International Support