Some Windows 10 PCs come with an embedded SIM (eSIM). With an eSIM, you can get online using cellular data whenever you have a cellular signal—just like you can with your mobile phone.
If your PC has an eSIM, you might be able to add your device to your current mobile account by using the Mobile Plans app in Windows 10. The app connects you to your mobile operator’s website, so you can get a data plan for your device and connect to their cellular network. With an eSIM, you don't need to get a SIM card from your mobile operator. If your mobile operator doesn’t offer plans through the Mobile Plans app, you can sign up with a new mobile operator through the app to buy a plan and get connected in more places.
If your PC doesn't have an eSIM, don’t worry. You can still use the Mobile Plans app if you have a SIM card from a supported mobile operator.
- To add a device to your current mobile account through the Mobile Plans app, your PC needs to have Windows 10 (Version 1803 or later) installed. To find out which version of Windows you have, see Which Windows operating system am I running?
- To check for updates, select the Start button, then select Settings > Update & security > Windows Update > Check for updates. If your system has updates pending, instead of the Check for updates button on that page, you'll see one or more updates ready for installation.
- For more info about using an eSIM in Windows 10, see Use an eSIM to get a cellular data connection on your Windows 10 PC.
- Cellular data plans aren’t available in all countries or regions.
To add your device to your current plan or buy a new plan
- Make sure you have an Internet connection.
If you’re not connected, select the Network icon on the lower right of the taskbar, select a Wi-Fi network, and then follow the instructions to connect to it.
- Select the Network icon again, look for Get connected underneath the cellular network name, and then select Connect with a data plan.
This opens the Mobile Plans app.
- On the Get online with cellular data screen in the Mobile Plans app, select Next.
- Depending on which screen appears next in the Mobile Plans app, do one of the following:
- If your mobile operator offers plans, select Continue to go to your mobile operator’s website, sign in with your existing mobile account, and then follow the steps to add your device to your account. (This is for PCs that have an eSIM or a supported SIM card.)
- If your mobile operator doesn’t offer plans, on the Select a mobile operator to get online now screen, select a new mobile operator, and then select Continue to go to the mobile operator’s website to set up a new account with them and choose a plan. (This is for PCs that have an eSIM.)
- To use the cellular data connection after your cellular network settings are updated, select the Network icon at the far right of the task bar, select the cellular network in the list of available networks, and then follow any other instructions to get connected and online.