Creating the best products and experiences for our customers is our top priority. We have heard your feedback and after careful examination, have determined that a small percentage of Surface Pro 4 devices are exhibiting what we refer to as a "scramble." Note that this issue cannot be addressed with a firmware or driver update. To support customers affected by this specific symptom, we will replace eligible Surface Pro 4 devices for a total of three years from the date of purchase, free of charge, for scramble issues only. This offer does not change or impact any warranty on the product.
First, ensure that you have installed all the latest Surface and Windows Updates. Surface and Windows updates are designed to keep your device running in an optimal state. If the scrambling persists on the screen with all current updates installed, please contact Microsoft support. Once an agent has confirmed that your device is eligible for replacement, you will need to prepare your Surface for service. We will ship you a replacement device as soon as we receive your existing device. Typically, it will take 6-8 business days for you to receive an exchange device from the date that you ship your current device back to us.
How can I tell if my Surface is eligible for replacement?
The eligibility period on eligible Surface Pro 4 devices for the scramble symptom is three years from the date of purchase.
Check your warranty status online by visiting https://support.microsoft.com/devices, signing in with your Microsoft account, and selecting your device. If you haven’t registered your device, click Register new device.
- If your device is still in-warranty, you may create a service order online at https://support.microsoft.com/devices
- If your device is out-of-warranty but within 3 years of the date of purchase, please contact Microsoft support for assistance.
- If your device is out-of-warranty and beyond 3 years of the date of purchase, we may still have options available to you, please contact Microsoft support for these available options.
- Only Surface Pro 4 devices, of any configuration, are covered under this program.
- This offer is specifically about the symptom of “screen scramble,” though it may be refered to as “flicker.” We define flicker as a different set of symptoms.
- This offer is extended to both consumers and commercial customers.
- This program does not apply to Devices damage caused by:
- use with products not sold or licensed by Microsoft
- any external cause (for example, by being dropped, exposed to liquid, or used with inadequate ventilation)
- a repair done by anyone other than Microsoft or an authorized retailer or reseller.
- The extension of a free replacement is applicable only for the Surface Pro 4 devices that are experiencing a scrambled screen as appropriately qualified by the agents. If the device is not qualified for replacement and /or for other repair needs, customers will continue to receive service under their existing Limited Warranty support or Microsoft Complete.
- Microsoft provides replacement devices which are refurbished to the defined quality standards.
- Customers who have already paid an out-of-warranty fee to repair a scrambled screen issue will be offered a refund and should contact Customer Support for validation.