This article describes the Refresh 2 release improvements for the Azure File Sync Agent (Preview) that's dated May 2018. Additionally, this article contains installation instructions for this release.
Improvements and issues that are fixed
- Added Azure Backup and Restore support in Portal.
- The Azure File Sync agent now supports application-specific proxy settings.
- Tiered files can now be moved outside the server endpoint directory (files will be downloaded locally in the background).
- Improved interoperability with antivirus solutions.
- Added support for Cloud Service Provider (CSP) accounts when the Server Registration UI is used.
- Added FileSyncErrorsReport.ps1 PowerShell script (located in the agent installation directory) to identify files that failed to sync because of open handles, invalid characters, or other issues.
- Miscellaneous performance, reliability, and telemetry improvements.
Azure Files added support for syncing files and directory names that have Unicode characters. This improves sync reliability for all Azure File Sync agent versions.
More information about the Refresh 2 release
- The Azure File Sync agent is supported on Windows Server 2012 R2 and Windows Server 2016.
- You must use elevated (administrator) permissions to install the agent installation package.
- Update KB 4130942 is a required update when you upgrade an existing Azure File Sync agent installation. If Update KB 4130942 is not already installed, it will be automatically installed.
- Restart requirement:
- New agent installation: A restart may be required if files are being used during the update rollup installation.
- Upgrading existing agent installation: A restart is required to install Refresh 2. If Update KB 4130942 is not installed, two restarts are required to complete the Refresh 2 installation.
- The agent version for the Refresh 2 Preview release is 220.127.116.11.
- Future Azure File Sync agent updates will require Refresh 2 to be installed.
How to get and install Refresh 2 for the Azure File Sync Agent (Preview)
Refresh 2 for the Azure File Sync agent is available from Microsoft Update, Microsoft Update Catalog, and Microsoft Download Center.
To get and install the Refresh 2 update from Microsoft Update, follow these steps on a server that has Azure File Sync agent installed:
- Select Start, and then select Settings.
- In Settings, select Update & security.
- In the Windows Update window, select Check online for updates from Microsoft Update.
- Verify that the Refresh 2 update is listed, and then select Install now.
Server 2012 R2
- Select Start, and then select Control Panel.
- In Control Panel, double-click Windows Update.
- In the Windows Update window, select Check for updates.
- Select Important updates are available.
- Verify that the Refresh 2 update is selected, and then select Install.
Microsoft Update Catalog
Go to the following website to manually download the Refresh 2 update package from the Microsoft Update Catalog:
Microsoft Download Center
Go to the following website to download the Refresh 2 agent installation package from the Microsoft Download Center:
How to do a silent installation
To perform a silent installation for a new agent installation, you must use the MSI package that is included in the Refresh 2 installer package. To extract the MSI package, double-click the appropriate Refresh 2 agent installer package (for example, StorageSyncAgent_PreviewRefresh2_WS2016.exe), copy the MSI packages that are located under %systemdrive%\AfsInstallerUpgrade to another location, and then cancel the attended agent installation. To perform a silent installation by using the MSI package, follow these steps:
New agent installation
To perform a silent installation for a new agent installation, run the following command at an elevated command prompt:
msiexec /i packagename.msi /qb /l*v Refresh2Installer.log
For example, to install the Azure File Sync agent for Server 2016, run the following command:
msiexec /i torageSyncAgent.msi
/qb /l*v Refresh2Installer.log
Note Use the /qb switch to display restart prompts, agent update, and server registration screens. To suppress the screens and automatically restart the server, use the /qn switch.
Update existing agent installation
To perform a silent installation for an existing agent installation, run the Refresh 2 installer package. For example, run the StorageSyncAgent_PreviewRefresh2_WS2016.exe file from an elevated command prompt.
Note A restart is required to install Refresh 2. If update KB 4130942 is not installed, two restarts are required to complete the Refresh 2 installation.