Improvements and fixes
This update includes quality improvements. No new operating system features are being introduced in this update. Key changes include:
Provides protections for an additional vulnerability involving side-channel speculative execution known as Lazy Floating Point (FP) State Restore (CVE-2018-3665) for 64-Bit (x64) versions of Windows.
- Updates Internet Explorer's Inspect Element feature to conform to the policy that disables the launch of Developer Tools.
- Addresses an issue that, in some cases, causes the wrong IME mode to be chosen on an IME-active element.
- Addresses an issue where DNS requests disregard proxy configurations in Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge.
- Addresses additional issues with updated time zone information.
- Security updates to Internet Explorer, Microsoft Edge, Windows apps, Windows graphics, Windows datacenter networking, Windows virtualization, Windows kernel, and Windows Server.
If you installed earlier updates, only the new fixes in this package will be downloaded and installed on your device.
For more information about the resolved security vulnerabilities, see the Security Update Guide.
Windows Update Improvements
Microsoft has released an update directly to the Windows Update client to improve reliability. Any device running Windows 10 configured to receive updates automatically from Windows Update, including Enterprise and Pro editions, will be offered the latest Windows 10 Feature Update based on device compatibility and Windows Update for Business deferral policy. This does not apply to long-term servicing editions.
Known issues in this update
|After installing this update, some devices running network monitoring workloads may receive the 0xD1 Stop error because of a race condition.|| |
This issue is resolved in KB4345455.
|Restarting the SQL Server service may fail occasionally with the error, “Tcp port is already in use”.||This issue is resolved in KB4345455.|
|When an administrator tries to stop the World Wide Web Publishing Service (W3SVC), the W3SVC remains in a "stopping" state, but cannot fully stop or be restarted.||This issue is resolved in KB4345455.|
After you install any of the July 2018 .NET Framework Security Updates, a COM component fails to load because of “access denied,” “class not registered,” or “internal failure occurred for unknown reasons” errors. The most common failure signature is the following:
Exception type: System.UnauthorizedAccessException
Message: Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED))
This issue is resolved in KB4343892.
How to get this update
This update will be downloaded and installed automatically from Windows Update. To get the standalone package for this update, go to the Microsoft Update Catalog website.
For a list of the files that are provided in this update, download the file information for cumulative update 4338829.