You can easily return any Microsoft retail product* to the retailer from which you purchased it, subject to that retailer's return policy.
I. Microsoft North American Retail Product 30-Day Refund Policy
What Products Are Eligible for a Refund?
Software and hardware products that you purchased in the United States, excluding its territories, or Canada (collectively “North America”) come with a Microsoft 30-Day Money-Back Guarantee, subject to the exclusions listed below. Microsoft will refund your purchase price, subject to policy guidelines and warranty and license agreement provisions.
How Can I Return a Product for a Refund?
- Return the product within 30 days of purchase date.
- Provide a copy of your original sales receipt, credit card statement, or canceled check.
- Provide complete contact information, including your street address (sorry, no PO boxes), city, state or province, ZIP or postal code, telephone number, and e-mail address (if applicable).
- Uninstall the software product from your computer and any storage devices and delete any backup copies.
- Include all related media and manuals.
- Provide the name and location of the retailer from which you purchased the product.
- Explain briefly why you want to return the product for a refund.
- Send the product, its original packaging, and all related materials via traceable means to our Return Center. For tracking and security reasons, all returns must be sent by FedEx, FedEx Ground, UPS, DHL, or insured U.S. mail with delivery confirmation.
If you do not follow these steps, you may not receive a refund
What Products Are Not Eligible for a Refund?
- Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) software preloaded on a device made by a company other than Microsoft (contact the device manufacturer).
- Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) software sold separately from a device (contact the reseller or retailer).
- Xbox 360 consoles, Kinect sensors for Xbox 360, and Xbox 360 accessories (refer to your warranty and product repair guidelines).
- Games or other software for Xbox 360 or Xbox One.
- Phones and phone accessories (contact the reseller or retailer).
- Products Microsoft no longer sells or supports.
- Subscription products or services including Office 365, Xbox Live, OneDrive, Skype, and Xbox Music Pass (contact your reseller or distributor if you didn’t buy directly from Microsoft).
- Products delivered via electronic distribution through a download link, a digital key (such as a 25-digit download key), or direct download delivery (contact the reseller or distributor), unless you are returning it because you do not agree with the license or warranty terms and you meet Microsoft’s conditions for refund, including confirmation that you uninstalled the software and made no copies; software keys will be blocked upon return.
- Apps purchased from Windows Store or Windows Phone Store (contact Microsoft customer support).
- Products that have been refurbished by Microsoft and are sold without a warranty and products that have been refurbished by a party other than Microsoft (contact the reseller or retailer).
- Products obtained through volume licensing (contact the reseller or retailer).
- Reseller/retailer and contractor products (contact your Authorized Microsoft Distributor or Account Executive).
- Products purchased from Microsoft Store (see the Microsoft Store returns policy).
- Products obtained as Not For Resale product.
- Products purchased through the Microsoft employee purchase program.
- Products purchased through the Microsoft Employee eCompany Store.
Timing and Process Information
The Return Center will process validated refund requests within 2–4 weeks of receipt. Failure to include all the required information may result in a denial of your request or a delay in the processing of your refund. We will reimburse you up to $7 USD for the cost of shipping your product to Microsoft, unless you can provide satisfactory proof that your shipping costs were greater than $7 USD.
Contacting the Return Center
1-877-673-8889 (TTY Line)
Shipping Address for Returns
Microsoft Product Returns Program
2031 Burroughs Ave.
San Leandro, CA 94577
* For convenience Microsoft refers to software licenses and hardware as “products” in this policy. Customers actually acquire software licenses from Microsoft, not software.