This article describes the improvements and issues that are fixed in the update for the Azure File Sync Agent that's dated December 2018. Additionally, this article contains installation instructions for this release.
Improvements and issues that are fixed
- Fixes an issue that causes a Stop error 0x3B or 0x1E when a VSS snapshot is created.
- Fixes an issue in which a memory leak may occur when cloud tiering is enabled.
Note Update rollups for Azure File Sync Agent are cumulative. This update includes all the improvements and fixes that were included in the previous cumulative update.
More information about this update rollup
- This update is available for Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows Server 2016, and Windows Server 2019 installations that have the Azure File Sync agent version 188.8.131.52 installed.
- The agent version of this update rollup is 184.108.40.206.
- A restart may be required if files are in use during the update rollup installation.
How to get and install this update rollup for the Azure File Sync Agent
Update rollups for the Azure File Sync Agent are available from Microsoft Update or by manual download.
- If the Azure File Sync agent is not currently installed on a server, use the agent installation package on the Microsoft Download Center. The agent installation package on Microsoft Update and Microsoft Update Catalog is intended for agent upgrades only.
- To update existing agent installations, run AfsUpdater.exe (which is located in the agent installation directory) or download and install the update from Microsoft Update or Microsoft Update Catalog.
To get and install this update rollup from Microsoft Update, follow these steps on a server that has Azure File Sync Agent installed:
Windows Server 2016
- Select Start, and then select Settings.
- In Settings, select Update & security.
- In the Windows Update window, select Check online for updates from Microsoft Update.
- Verify that the update rollup is listed, and then select Install now.
Windows Server 2012 R2
- Select Start, and then select Control Panel.
- In Control Panel, double-click Windows Update.
- In the Windows Update window, select Check for updates.
- Select Important updates are available.
- Verify that the update rollup is selected, and then select Install.
Microsoft Update Catalog
Go to the following website to manually download this update rollup package from the Microsoft Update Catalog:
To manually install the update rollup package, run the following command from an elevated command prompt:
msiexec.exe /p packagename.msp REINSTALLMODE=OMUS REINSTALL=StorageSyncAgent,StorageSyncAgentAzureFileSync,StorageSyncAgentGuardFilter,StorageSyncAgentUpdater /qb /l*vx storagesyncagentupdate.log
For example, to install the Azure File Sync Agent update rollup for Server 2016, run the following command:
msiexec.exe /p StorageSyncAgent_WS2016_KB4459990.msp REINSTALLMODE=OMUS REINSTALL=StorageSyncAgent,StorageSyncAgentAzureFileSync,StorageSyncAgentGuardFilter,StorageSyncAgentUpdater /qb /l*vx storagesyncagentupdate.log
New Agent Installation
Go to the Microsoft Download Center to manually download the agent installation package for new agent installations.
Note To perform a silent installation for new agent installations, follow the steps that are documented in KB 4459986.