You can use your PC's Backup and Restore feature to help you move all your favorite files off a Windows 7 PC and onto a Windows 10 PC. This option is best when you have an external storage device available. Here's how to move your files using Backup and Restore.
You'll need the following items to move your files from your Windows 7 PC to your Windows 10 PC.
- An external storage device, such as a USB drive, SD card, or external hard drive
- Your Windows 7 PC
- Your Windows 10 PC
Back up files from a Windows 7 PC
Follow the below steps on your Windows 7 PC:
- Select the Start button, then select Control Panel > System and Security > Backup and Restore.
- Select Set up backup.
- Connect your external storage device to the Windows 7 PC, and then select Refresh.
- Under Backup Destination, select your external storage device, and then select Next.
- Select Let me choose > Next.
- By default, all files under Documents, Music, Pictures, and Videos will be backed up. You can back up additional files by expanding the locations under Computer and selecting the folders to back up.
- Unselect the Include a system image of drives checkbox, and then select Next.
- Select Change schedule.
- Unselect the Run backup on a schedule checkbox, and then select OK.
- Select Save settings and run backup to start backing up your files to the external storage device.
- Safely remove the drive to ensure no files are lost or corrupted. To remove the device, select Eject before you disconnect the drive from your PC.
Restore files on a Windows 10 PC
Follow the below steps on your Windows 10 PC:
- Connect the external storage device where you backed up your files to your Windows 10 PC.
- Select the Start button, and then select Settings .
- Select Update & Security > Backup > Go to Backup and Restore (Windows 7).
- Select Select another backup to restore files from.
- Select the backup created from your Windows 7 PC, and then select Next.
- Select the Select all files from this backup checkbox, and then select Next.
- By default, files from the backup will be restored to the same location on the Windows 10 PC. You can choose a different location to move the files by selecting In the following location, and then providing the path to a new destination location.
- Select Restore to start restoring files to the Windows 10 PC.