Improvements and fixes
This update includes quality improvements. No new operating system features are being introduced in this update. Key changes include:
- Addresses an issue that may cause Microsoft Edge to stop working with certain display drivers.
- Addresses an issue that may cause third-party applications to have difficulty authenticating hotspots.
- Addresses an issue that causes promotions of non-root domains to fail with the error, “The replication operation encountered a database error.” The issue occurs in Active Directory forests in which optional features like Active Directory recycle have been enabled.
- Addresses an issue related to the date format for the Japanese era calendar. For more information, see KB4469068.
- Addresses a compatibility issue with AMD R600 and R700 display chipsets.
- Addresses an audio compatibility issue when playing newer games with 3D Spatial Audio mode enabled through multichannel audio devices or Windows Sonic for Headphones.
- Addresses an issue that may cause audio playback to stop responding when playing Free Lossless Audio Codec (FLAC) audio content after using a Seek operation such as rewind.
- Addresses an issue that allows users to uninstall apps from the Start menu when the “Prevent users from uninstalling applications from Start menu” group policy is set.
- Addresses an issue that causes File Explorer to stop working when you click the Turn On button for the timeline feature. This issue occurs when the "Allow upload of user activities" group policy is disabled.
- Addresses an issue that prevents users from installing a Local Experience Pack from the Microsoft Store when that language is already set as the active Windows display language.
- Addresses an issue that causes some symbols to appear in a square box on a text control.
- Addresses an issue with two-way audio that occurs during phone calls for some Bluetooth headsets.
- Addresses an issue that may turn off TCP Fast Open by default on some systems.
- Addresses an issue that may cause applications to lose IPv4 connectivity when IPv6 is unbound.
- Addresses an issue on Windows Server 2019 that may break connectivity on guest virtual machines (VMs) when applications inject the low-resource flag on packets.
- Addresses an issue that occurs if you create a page file on a drive with FILE_PORTABLE_DEVICE characteristics. The “Windows created a temporary warning” message appears.
- Addresses an issue that causes Remote Desktop Services to stop accepting connections after accepting several connections.
- Addresses an issue in Windows Server 2019 that causes a Hyper-V VM to remain at the bootloader screen for OS selection when restarting the machine. This issue occurs when Virtual Machine Connection (VMConnect) is attached.
- Addresses an issue with rendering of end-user-defined characters (EUDC) in Microsoft Edge.
Updates the Ltotape.sys driver to add native support for Linear Tape-Open 8 (LTO-8) tape drives.
Addresses an issue that causes SYSPREP to fail with the error, "Sysprep was not able to validate your Windows installation...". The issue occurs if you run SYSPREP after performing an in-place upgrade to Windows 10, version 1809 and then remove the Windows.old folder using Disk Cleanup (cleanmgr.exe) or Storage Sense.
Addressed an issue that causes virtual machine (VM) creation to fail when Node Interleaving is enabled.
- Addresses an issue that prevents users from enabling Storage Maintenance Mode on timeout if the storage is under load.
Addresses an issue that prevents the screen reader from reading screen text properly.
- Addresses an issue that causes the clock and the calendar flyout to ignore user settings for Japanese Era date and time formats. For more information, see KB4469068.
- Addresses an issue that can overwrite gan-nen support behavior for the Japanese Era with a newer update. For more information, see KB4469068.
- Addresses an issue that fails to recognize the first character as the abbreviation for the Japanese Era name. For more information, see KB4469068.
- Addresses an issue that fails to display the correct Japanese Era name in Microsoft Office Visual Basic for Applications. For more information, see KB4469068.
If you installed earlier updates, only the new fixes contained in this package will be downloaded and installed on your device.
Known issues in this update
|Applications that use a Microsoft Jet database with the Microsoft Access 97 file format may fail to open if the database has column names greater than 32 characters. The database will fail to open with the error, “Unrecognized Database Format”.|| |
This issue is resolved in KB4487044.
|After installing KB4480116, some users report that they cannot load a webpage in Microsoft Edge using a local IP address. Browsing fails or the webpage may become unresponsive.|| |
This issue is resolved in KB4487044.
|After installing this update, the first character of the Japanese era name is not recognized as an abbreviation and may cause date parsing issues.|| |
Modify the registry with the two-character abbreviation for Japanese eras as follows:
"1868 01 01"="明治_明_Meiji_M"
"1912 07 30"="大正_大_Taisho_T"
"1926 12 25"="昭和_昭_Showa_S"
"1989 01 08"="平成_平_Heisei_H"Microsoft is working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release.
|After installing KB4480116, some Microsoft Edge users report that they cannot load webpages on the Internet using a VPN connection. Browsing fails or the webpage may become unresponsive.|| |
Microsoft is presently investigating and will provide a status update when the investigation is complete.
How to get this update
Before installing this update
Microsoft strongly recommends you install the latest servicing stack update (SSU) for your operating system before installing the latest cumulative update (LCU). SSUs improve the reliability of the update process to mitigate potential issues while installing the LCU. For more information, see Servicing stack updates.
Install this update
To download and install this update, go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update and select Check for updates.
To get the stand-alone package for this update, go to the Microsoft Update Catalog website.
For a list of the files that are provided in this update, download the file information for cumulative update 4476976.