Windows 10, version 1607, reached end of service on April 10, 2018. Devices running Windows 10 Home or Pro editions will no longer receive monthly security and quality updates that contain protection from the latest security threats. To continue receiving security and quality updates, Microsoft recommends updating to the latest version of Windows 10.
IMPORTANT: Windows 10 Enterprise and Windows 10 Education editions will receive six months of additional servicing at no cost. Devices on the Long-Term Servicing Channels (LTSC) will continue to receive updates until October 2026 per the Lifecycle Policy page. Windows 10 Anniversary Update (v. 1607) devices running the Intel “Clovertrail” chipset will continue to receive updates until January 2023 per the Microsoft Community blog.
Windows Server 2016 Standard edition, Nano Server installation option and Windows Server 2016 Datacenter edition, Nano Server installation option reached end of service on October 9, 2018. These editions will no longer receive monthly security and quality updates that contain protection from the latest security threats. To continue receiving security and quality updates, Microsoft recommends updating to the latest version of Windows 10.
Windows 10 Mobile, version 1607, reached end of service on October 8, 2018. Devices running Windows 10 Mobile and Windows 10 Mobile Enterprise will no longer receive monthly security and quality updates that contain protection from the latest security threats. To continue receiving security and quality updates, Microsoft recommends updating to the latest version of Windows 10.
Improvements and fixes
This update includes quality improvements. No new operating system features are being introduced in this update. Key changes include:
- Updates time zone information for Chile.
- Addresses an issue that may cause the Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) client application to display a black screen at user login.
- Improves performance related to case-insensitive string comparison functions such as _stricmp() in the Universal C runtime.
- Addresses an issue with evaluating the compatibility status of the Windows ecosystem to help ensure application and device compatibility for all updates to Windows.
- Improves the reliability of the UE-VAppmonitor.
- Addresses an issue with the display of user names in the Routing and Remote Access Service (RRAS) servers.
- Addresses an issue that causes updates to a relying party trust to fail when using PowerShell or the Active Directory Federation Services (AD FS) management console. This issue occurs if you configure a relying party trust to use an online metadata URL that publishes more than one PassiveRequestorEndpoint. The error is, “MSIS7615: The trusted endpoints specified in a relying party trust must be unique for that relying party trust.”
- Addresses an issue that displays a specific error message for external complexity password changes because of Azure Password Protection policies.
- Addresses an issue that may cause Microsoft Outlook to display the error, "The operation failed" when viewing the Microsoft Exchange Address Book. This issue occurs after installing KB4457127 on Active Directory domain controllers that utilize Microsoft Exchange. The error appears on Microsoft Outlook clients that use locales other than EN-US.
- Addresses an issue that may prevent you from enabling Storage Maintenance Mode on timeout if the storage is under load.
- Addresses an issue that may cause a server to stop working when handling a compound client request that includes a rename.
- Addresses an issue that may cause error “0x165” when you pause a node and take it down for maintenance.
- Addresses an issue that may cause an error at Stop 24 on a virtual Remote Desktop Services (RDS) server.
- Addresses an issue that fails to recognize the first character of the Japanese era name as an abbreviation and may cause date parsing issues.
Addresses a reliability issue with win32kfull.sys introduced in KB4487026.
Addresses an issue that may prevent Internet Explorer from loading images that have a backslash (\) in their relative source path.
Addresses an issue that may cause applications that use a Microsoft Jet database with the Microsoft Access 95 file format to randomly stop working.
If you installed earlier updates, only the new fixes contained in this package will be downloaded and installed on your device.
Windows Update Improvements
Microsoft has released an update directly to the Windows Update client to improve reliability. Any device running Windows 10 configured to receive updates automatically from Windows Update, including Enterprise and Pro editions, will be offered the latest Windows 10 feature update based on device compatibility and Windows Update for Business deferral policy. This doesn't apply to long-term servicing editions.
Known issues in this update
For hosts managed by System Center Virtual Machine Manager (SCVMM), SCVMM cannot enumerate and manage logical switches deployed on the host after installing the update.Additionally, if you do not follow the best practices, a stop error may occur in vfpext.sys on the hosts.
|After installing KB4467691, Windows may fail to start on certain Lenovo and Fujitsu laptops that have less than 8 GB of RAM.|| |
Restart the affected machine using the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI). Disable Secure Boot and then restart.
If BitLocker is enabled on your machine, you may have to go through BitLocker recovery after Secure Boot has been disabled.
Lenovo and Fujitsu are aware of this issue. Please contact your OEM to ask if there is a firmware update available for your device.
|After installing KB4467684, the cluster service may fail to start with the error “2245 (NERR_PasswordTooShort)” if the group policy “Minimum Password Length” is configured with greater than 14 characters.|| |
Set the domain default "Minimum Password Length" policy to less than or equal to 14 characters.
Microsoft is working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release.
After installing this update, Internet Explorer 11 may have authentication issues. This occurs when two or more people use the same user account for multiple, concurrent login sessions on the same Windows Server machine, including Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) and Terminal Server logons. Symptoms reported by customers include, but may not be limited to:
Create unique user accounts so that two people don’t share the same user account when logging on to a Windows Server machine. Additionally, disable multiple RDP sessions for a single user account for a specific Windows Server.Microsoft is working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release.
|After installing this update, users may receive “Error 1309” while installing or uninstalling certain types of MSI and MSP files.|| |
This issue is resolved in KB4489882.
|In some cases, Windows Server will stop working and restart when hosting multiple terminal server sessions and a user logs off. The faulting driver is win32kbase.sys.||This issue is resolved in KB4489882.|
After installing this update, MSXML6 causes applications to stop responding if an exception was thrown during node operations, such as appendChild(), insertBefore(), and moveNode().The Group Policy editor may stop responding when editing a Group Policy Object (GPO) that contains Group Policy Preferences (GPP) for Internet Explorer 10 settings.
|Microsoft is working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release.|
How to get this update
Before installing this update
Microsoft strongly recommends you install the latest servicing stack update (SSU) for your operating system before installing the latest cumulative update (LCU). SSUs improve the reliability of the update process to mitigate potential issues while installing the LCU. For more information, see Servicing stack updates.
Install this update
To download and install this update, go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update and select Check for updates.
To get the stand-alone package for this update, go to the Microsoft Update Catalog website.
For a list of the files that are provided in this update, download the file information for cumulative update 4487006.