Improvements and fixes
This security update includes quality improvements. Key changes include:
- Provides protections against Spectre Variant 2 (CVE-2017-5715) and Meltdown (CVE-2017-5754) for VIA-based computers. These protections are enabled by default for the Windows Client, but disabled by default for Windows Server. For Windows Client (IT Pro) guidance, follow the instructions in KB4073119. For Windows Server guidance, follow the instructions in KB4072698. Use these guidance documents to enable or disable these mitigations for VIA-based computers.
- Addresses an issue that may cause applications that use MSXML6 to stop responding if an exception was thrown during node operations.
- Addresses an issue that causes the Group Policy editor to stop responding when editing a Group Policy Object (GPO) that contains Group Policy Preferences (GPP) for Internet Explorer 10 Internet settings.
- Addresses an issue that may cause authentication issues for Internet Explorer 11 and other applications that use WININET.DLL. This occurs when two or more people use the same user account for multiple, concurrent login sessions on the same Windows Server machine, including Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) and Terminal Server logons.
Addresses an issue that may cause compound document (OLE) server applications to display embedded objects incorrectly if you use the PatBlt API to place embedded objects into the Windows Metafile (WMF).
- Security updates to Windows Storage and Filesystems, Windows Server, Microsoft Graphics Component, Windows Input and Composition, Windows Datacenter Networking, Windows Kernel, Windows MSXML, Windows SQL components, and the Microsoft JET Database Engine.
For more information about the resolved security vulnerabilities, please refer to the Security Update Guide.
Known issues in this update
|After installing this update, there may be issues using the Preboot Execution Environment (PXE) to start a device from a Windows Deployment Services (WDS) server configured to use Variable Window Extension. This may cause the connection to the WDS server to terminate prematurely while downloading the image. This issue does not affect clients or devices that are not using Variable Window Extension.|| |
To mitigate the issue, disable the Variable Window Extension on WDS server using one of the following options:
Wdsutil /Set-TransportServer /EnableTftpVariableWindowExtension:No
Restart the WDSServer service after disabling the Variable Window Extension.
Microsoft is working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release.
|Microsoft and Sophos have identified an issue on devices with Sophos Endpoint Protection installed and managed by either Sophos Central or Sophos Enterprise Console (SEC) that may cause the system to become unresponsive upon restart after installing this update.|| |
Microsoft has temporarily blocked devices from receiving this update if the Sophos Endpoint is installed until a solution is available.
Guidance for Sophos Endpoint and Sophos Enterprise Console customers can be found in the Sophos support article.
Microsoft and Avira have identified an issue on devices with Avira antivirus software installed that may cause the system to become unresponsive upon restart after installing this update.
Microsoft has temporarily blocked devices from receiving this update if Avira antivirus software is installed.We are presently investigating this issue with Avira and will provide an update when available.
|Microsoft and Avast have identified an issue on devices running Avast for Business, Avast CloudCare, and AVG Business Edition antivirus software after you install this update and restart. Devices may become unresponsive at the login or Welcome screen. Additionally, you may be unable to log in or log in after an extended period of time.||Avast has released emergency updates to address this issue. For more information and AV update schedule, see the Avast support KB article.|
|Certain operations, such as rename, that you perform on files or folders that are on a Cluster Shared Volume (CSV) may fail with the error, “STATUS_BAD_IMPERSONATION_LEVEL (0xC00000A5)”. This occurs when you perform the operation on a CSV owner node from a process that doesn’t have administrator privilege.|| |
Do one of the following: