Reminder: March 12th and April 9th will be the last two Delta updates for Windows 10, version 1703. Security and quality updates will continue to be available via the express and full cumulative update packages. For more information on this change please visit our blog.
Windows 10, version 1703, reached end of service on October 8, 2018. Devices running Windows 10 Home, Pro, Pro for Workstation, and IoT Core editions will no longer receive monthly security and quality updates that contain protection from the latest security threats. To continue receiving security and quality updates, Microsoft recommends updating to the latest version of Windows 10.
IMPORTANT: Windows 10 Enterprise and Windows 10 Education editions will receive one year of additional servicing at no cost.
This release also contains updates for Windows 10 Mobile (OS Build 15063.1805) released May 14, 2019.
Improvements and fixes
This update includes quality improvements. Key changes include:
- Provides protections against a new subclass of speculative execution side-channel vulnerabilities, known as Microarchitectural Data Sampling, for 64-Bit (x64) versions of Windows (CVE-2019-11091, CVE-2018-12126, CVE-2018-12127, CVE-2018-12130). Use the registry settings as described in the Windows Client article. (These registry settings are enabled by default for Windows Client OS editions).
- Adds "gov.uk" to the HTTP Strict Transport Security Top Level Domains (HSTS TLD) for Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge.
- Addresses an issue that may cause “Error 1309” while installing or uninstalling certain types of .msi and .msp files on a virtual drive.
- Addresses an issue that prevents the Microsoft Visual Studio Simulator from starting.
- Addresses an issue that may cause the text, layout, or cell size to become narrower or wider than expected in Microsoft Excel when using the MS UI Gothic or MS PGothic fonts.
- Security updates to Internet Explorer, Microsoft Scripting Engine, Microsoft Edge, Windows Storage and Filesystems, Microsoft Graphics Component, Windows App Platform and Frameworks, Windows Cryptography, Windows Datacenter Networking, Windows Server, Windows Virtualization, Windows Kernel, and the Microsoft JET Database Engine.
If you installed earlier updates, only the new fixes contained in this package will be downloaded and installed on your device.
For more information about the resolved security vulnerabilities, please refer to the Security Update Guide.
Windows Update Improvements
Microsoft has released an update directly to the Windows Update client to improve reliability. Any device running Windows 10 configured to receive updates automatically from Windows Update, including Enterprise and Pro editions, will be offered the latest Windows 10 feature update based on device compatibility and Windows Update for Business deferral policy. This doesn't apply to long-term servicing editions.
Known issues in this update
|Certain operations, such as rename, that you perform on files or folders that are on a Cluster Shared Volume (CSV) may fail with the error, “STATUS_BAD_IMPERSONATION_LEVEL (0xC00000A5)”. This occurs when you perform the operation on a CSV owner node from a process that doesn’t have administrator privilege.|| |
Do one of the following:
|After installing the May 14, 2019 update, some gov.uk websites that don’t support HTTP Strict Transport Security (HSTS) may not be accessible through Internet Explorer 11 or Microsoft Edge.||Microsoft is working on a resolution and will provide an update as quickly as possible.|
How to get this update
Before installing this update
Microsoft strongly recommends you install the latest servicing stack update (SSU) for your operating system before installing the latest cumulative update (LCU). SSUs improve the reliability of the update process to mitigate potential issues while installing the LCU and applying Microsoft security fixes. For more information, see Servicing stack updates.
Install this update
This update will be downloaded and installed automatically from Windows Update. To get the standalone package for this update, go to the Microsoft Update Catalog website.
For a list of the files that are provided in this update, download the file information for cumulative update 4499181.