Starting with KB4493472 Monthly Rollup updates will no longer include PciClearStaleCache.exe. This installation utility addressees inconsistencies in the internal PCI cache. This can cause the symptoms listed below when installing monthly updates that do NOT include PciClearStaleCache:
- Existing NIC definitions in control panel networks may be replaced with a new Ethernet Network Interface Card (NIC) but with default settings. Any custom settings on the previously NIC persist in the registry but were unused.
- Static IP address settings were lost on network interfaces.
- Wi-Fi profile settings were not displayed in the network flyout.
- WIFI network adapters were disabled
These symptoms are especially common on guest virtual machines and on machines which have not been updated since March, 2018.
Administrators should ensure that any one or more of the Monthly rollups released between April 10, 2018 (KB4093118) and March 12, 2019 (KB4489878) have been installed prior to installing April 2019 and later updates. Each of these rollup updates includes PciClearStaleCache.exe.
Improvements and fixes
This security update includes improvements and fixes that were a part of update KB4499178 (released May 23, 2019) and addresses the following issues:
- Addresses an issue with the HTTP and HTTPS string character limit for URLs when using Internet Explorer.
- Security updates to Windows App Platform and Frameworks, Microsoft Graphics Component, Windows Input and Composition, Windows Shell, Windows Server, Windows Authentication, Windows Datacenter Networking, Windows Storage and Filesystems, Windows Virtualization, Internet Information Services, and the Microsoft JET Database Engine.
For more information about the resolved security vulnerabilities, please refer to the Security Update Guide.
Known issues in this update
|Microsoft and McAfee have identified an issue on devices with McAfee Endpoint Security (ENS) Threat Prevention 10.x or McAfee Host Intrusion Prevention (Host IPS) 8.0 or McAfee VirusScan Enterprise (VSE) 8.8 installed. It may cause the system to have slow startup or become unresponsive at restart after installing this update.|| |
This issue has been resolved. McAfee has released an automatic update to address this issue.
Guidance for McAfee customers can be found in the following McAfee support articles:
Internet Explorer 11 may stop working when loading or interacting with Power BI reports that have line charts with markers. This issue may also occur when viewing other content that contains Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) markers.
This issue is resolved in KB4503277.
|When trying to expand, view, or create Custom Views in Event Viewer, you may receive the error, "MMC has detected an error in a snap-in and will unload it." and the app may stop responding or close. You may also receive the same error when using Filter Current Log in the Action menu with built-in views or logs. Built-in views and other features of Event Viewer should work as expected.|| |
This issue is resolved in KB4503277.
|Devices that start up using Preboot Execution Environment (PXE) images from Windows Deployment Services (WDS) or System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM) may fail to start with the error "Status: 0xc0000001, Info: A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed" after installing this update on a WDS server.|| |
For mitigation instructions, see KB4512816.
We are working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release.
How to get this update
Before installing this update
Microsoft strongly recommends you install the latest servicing stack update (SSU) for your operating system before installing the latest Rollup. SSUs improve the reliability of the update process to mitigate potential issues while installing the Rollup and applying Microsoft security fixes.
Install this update
This update will be downloaded and installed automatically from Windows Update. To get the standalone package for this update, go to the Microsoft Update Catalog website.
For a list of the files that are provided in this update, download the file information for update 4503292.