About the .NET Framework 4.8
The Microsoft .NET Framework 4.8 is a highly compatible, in-place update to the Microsoft .NET Framework 4, 4.5, 4.5.1, 4.5.2, 4.6, 4.6.1, 4.6.2, 4.7, 4.7.1 and 4.7.2.
The offline package can be used in situations in which the web installer cannot be used because of lack of Internet connectivity. This package is larger than the web installer and does not include the language packs. We recommend that you use the web installer instead of the offline installer for optimal efficiency and bandwidth requirements.
When you install this package, you can see following packages or updates installed as per operating system:
- In Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, Update for Microsoft.NET Framework 4.8 (KB4503548) is displayed as an installed product under Programs and Features in Control Panel.
- In Windows Server 2012, Update for Microsoft Windows (KB4486081) is displayed under Installed Updates in Control Panel. In Windows RT 8.1, Windows 8.1 or Windows Server 2012 R2, Update for Microsoft Windows (KB4486105) is displayed under Installed Updates in Control Panel.
- In Windows RT 8.1, Windows 8.1 or Windows Server 2012 R2, Update for Microsoft Windows (KB4486105) is displayed under Installed Updates in Control Panel.
- In Windows 10 Anniversary Update (Version 1607), Windows 10 Creators Update (Version 1703) and Windows Server 2016, it’s listed as Update for Microsoft Windows (KB4486129) under Installed Updates in Control Panel.
- In Windows 10 Falls Creator's Update Version 1709, Windows 10 April 2018 Update (Version 1803), Windows 10 October 2018 Update (Version 1809) and Windows Server 2019, it’s listed as Update for Microsoft Windows (KB4486153) under Installed Updates in Control Panel.
The following files are available for download from the .NET Download site:
For Windows RT 8.1:
For more information about how to download Microsoft support files, see How to obtain Microsoft support files from online services .
Virus Scan Claim: Microsoft scanned this file for viruses. Microsoft used the most current virus-detection software that was available on the date that the file was posted. The file is stored on security-enhanced servers that help prevent any unauthorized changes to the file.
Issues that this update resolves
The following problems in .NET Framework 4.8 are fixed in this update.
- Fixed System.Web.Caching initialization bug when using ASP.NET cache on machines without IIS.
- Fixed the ability to select ComboBox edit field text using mouse down+move.
- Fixed the issue with interaction between WPF user control and hosting WinForms app when processing keyboard input.
- Fixed the issue with Narrator/NVDA announcing of PropertyGrid's ComboBox expanding and collapsing action.
- Fixed the issue with rendering "..." button of PropertyGrid control in HC mode to draw button background and dots contrasted.
- Fixed a handle leak during creation of a Window in WPF applications that are manifested for Per Monitor DPI V2 Awareness. This leak may lead to extraneous GC.Collect calls that can impact performance in Window creation scenarios.
- Fixed a regression caused by the bug fix involving bindings with DataContext explicitly on the binding path.
For more information about Microsoft .NET Framework 4.8, see the .NET Framework 4.8 known issues.
This version of the .NET Framework runs side-by-side with the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 and earlier versions, but it performs an in-place update for the .NET Framework 4, 4.5, 4.5.1, 4.5.2, 4.6, 4.6.1, 4.6.2, 4.7, 4.7.1 and 4.7.2.
Command-line switches for this update
You may have to restart the computer after you install this update. We recommend that you exit all applications that are using the .NET Framework before you install this update.
The .NET Framework 4.8 (Offline Installer) supports the following operating systems:
- Windows 10 Version 1809
- Windows 10 Version 1803
- Windows 10 Version 1709
- Windows 10 Version 1703
- Windows 10 Version 1607
- Windows 8.1
- Windows 7 SP1
- Windows Server 2019
- Windows Server Version 1803
- Windows Server Version 1809
- Windows Server 2016
- Windows Server 2012 R2
- Windows Server 2012
- Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1