IMPORTANT Verify that you have installed the required updates listed in the How to get this update section before installing this update.
Improvements and fixes
This security update includes quality improvements. Key changes include:
- Addresses an issue in security bulletin CVE-2019-1318 that may cause client or server computers that don’t support Extended Master Secret (EMS) RFC 7627 to have increased connection latency and CPU utilization. This issue occurs while performing full Transport Layer Security (TLS) handshakes from devices that don’t support EMS, especially on servers. EMS support has been available for all the supported versions of Windows since calendar year 2015 and is being incrementally enforced by the installation of the October 8, 2019 and later monthly updates.
- Security updates to Windows Authentication, Microsoft JET Database Engine, Windows Kernel, Internet Information Services, and Windows Server.
For more information about the resolved security vulnerabilities, please refer to the Security Update Guide.
Known issues in this update
Microsoft is not currently aware of any issues with this update.
How to get this update
Before installing this update
You must install the updates listed below and restart your device before installing the latest Rollup. Installing these updates improves the reliability of the update process and mitigates potential issues while installing the Rollup.
- The March 12, 2019 servicing stack update (SSU) (KB4490628). If you are using Windows Update, this SSU will be offered to you automatically. To get the standalone package for this SSU, search for it in the Microsoft Update Catalog.
- The latest SHA-2 update (KB4474419) released October 8, 2019. If you are using Windows Update, the latest SHA-2 update will be offered to you automatically. For more information on SHA-2 updates, see 2019 SHA-2 Code Signing Support requirement for Windows and WSUS.
- The latest SSU (KB4516655). If you are using Windows Update, the latest SSU will be offered to you automatically. To get the standalone package for the latest SSU, search for it in the Microsoft Update Catalog.
Install this update
|Release Channel||Available||Next Step|
|Windows Update and Microsoft Update||No||See the other options below.|
|Microsoft Update Catalog||Yes||To get the standalone package for this update, go to the Microsoft Update Catalog website.|
|Windows Server Update Services (WSUS)||Yes|| |
This update will automatically synchronize with WSUS if you configure Products and Classifications as follows:
Product: Windows 7 Service Pack 1, Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1Classification: Security Updates
For a list of the files that are provided in this update, download the file information for update 4520003.