Improvements and fixes
This security update includes improvements and fixes that were a part of update KB4520012 (released October 15, 2019) and addresses the following issues:
- Addresses an issue that prevents a 16-bit Visual Basic 3 (VB3) application or other VB3 applications from running.
- Addresses an issue that causes only one Bluetooth Basic Rate device to function properly on some Bluetooth controllers after installing the August 13, 2019 update.
- Addresses an issue that causes error 0x7E when you connect Bluetooth devices after installing the June 11, 2019 update.
- Provides protections against the Intel® Processor Machine Check Error vulnerability (CVE-2018-12207). Use the registry setting as described in the Guidance KB article. (This registry setting is disabled by default.)
- Provides protections against the Intel® Transactional Synchronization Extensions (Intel® TSX) Transaction Asynchronous Abort vulnerability (CVE-2019-11135). Use the registry settings as described in the Windows Client and Windows Server articles. (These registry settings are enabled by default for Windows Client OS editions, but disabled by default for Windows Server OS editions.)
- Addresses an issue with temporary user profiles in an environment in which user profile disks (UPD) are deployed and cached roaming profiles are not deleted when the "Delete cached copies of roaming profiles" policy is enabled.
- Security updates to Microsoft Scripting Engine, Internet Explorer, Microsoft Graphics Component, Windows Input and Composition, Windows Cryptography, Windows Virtualization, Windows Kernel, Windows Datacenter Networking, and the Microsoft JET Database Engine.
For more information about the resolved security vulnerabilities, please refer to the Security Update Guide.
Known issues in this update
|Certain operations, such as rename, that you perform on files or folders that are on a Cluster Shared Volume (CSV) may fail with the error, “STATUS_BAD_IMPERSONATION_LEVEL (0xC00000A5)”. This occurs when you perform the operation on a CSV owner node from a process that doesn’t have administrator privilege.|| |
Do one of the following:
How to get this update
Before installing this update
Microsoft strongly recommends you install the latest servicing stack update (SSU) for your operating system before installing the latest Rollup. SSUs improve the reliability of the update process to mitigate potential issues while installing the Rollup and applying Microsoft security fixes.
Install this update
|Release Channel||Available||Next Step|
|Windows Update and Microsoft Update||Yes||None. This update will be downloaded and installed automatically from Windows Update.|
|Microsoft Update Catalog||Yes||To get the standalone package for this update, go to the Microsoft Update Catalog website.|
|Windows Server Update Services (WSUS)||Yes|| |
This update will automatically synchronize with WSUS if you configure Products and Classifications as follows:
Product: Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry Enterprise, Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry ProClassification: Security Updates
For a list of the files that are provided in this update, download the file information for update 4525243.