After successfully completing the Out-of-box Experience (OOBE) to setup a new Windows device or after resetting a device, once you reach the Desktop you might see a screen with black bars at the top and bottom with blue in the middle and receive the error, "Something went wrong but you can try again. MSA" with a Try again button.
The Out-of-box Experience (OOBE) consists of a series of screens that require customers to accept the license agreement, log in with, or sign up for a Microsoft Account and helps you set up your new Windows installation. During OOBE, you have the option to connect to the internet but are not required to do so. You might receive this error the first time you connect to the internet on a new device or new install of Windows that has not previously connected to the internet during the Out-of-box Experience (OOBE).
If you do not have any work open, follow these steps:
- Select Ctrl+Alt+Delete on the keyboard.
- In the lower right corner of the screen, select the Power button .
- Select Restart.
If you have work open that you do not want to lose, follow these steps:
- Select Ctrl+Shift+F10 on the keyboard once.
- Select Ctrl+Shift+Esc on the keyboard to open Task Manager. If you do not see Task Manager open, repeat step 1.
- If you do not see the Details tab, select More Details in the lower left.
- Select the Details tab.
- Find the wwahost.exe process. Right-click or long press on that process and select End task from the context menu.
Once you have completed all of the steps in either of these methods, you should not receive this error again.
Microsoft is working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release.