This security update resolves vulnerabilities in Internet Explorer. To learn more about these vulnerabilities, see the following articles:
Additionally, see the following articles for more information about cumulative updates:
- Except for Internet Explorer 11 on Windows Server 2012, the fixes that are included in this Security Update for Internet Explorer (KB4530677) are also included in the December 2019 Security Monthly Quality Rollup. Installing either the Security Update for Internet Explorer or the Security Monthly Quality Rollup installs the fixes that are in this update.
- Except for Internet Explorer 11 on Windows Server 2012, this Security Update for Internet Explorer is not applicable for installation on a computer on which the Security Monthly Quality Rollup or the Preview of Monthly Quality Rollup from December 2019 (or a later month) is already installed. This is because those updates contain all the fixes that are in this security update for Internet Explorer.
- If you use update management processes other than Windows Update, and you automatically approve all security updates classifications for deployment, this Security Update for Internet Explorer (KB4530677), the December 2019 Security Only Quality Update, and the December 2019 Security Monthly Quality Rollup are deployed. We recommend that you review your update deployment rules to make sure that the desired updates are deployed.
- To obtain this update for Internet Explorer 11 on Server 2012, you must install this Security Update for Internet Explorer (KB4530677). This update is not included in any Security Monthly Quality Rollup or Security Only Quality Update. For Internet Explorer 10 on Windows Server 2012, other called-out installation methods are applicable.
If you install a language pack after you install this update, you must reinstall this update. Therefore, we recommend that you install any language packs that you need before you install this update. For more information, see Add language packs to Windows.
How to get and install this update
Before installing this update
You must have the following updates installed and restart the device before you install this update (KB4530677). Installing these updates improves the reliability of the update process and mitigates potential issues while installing this update.
- Servicing stack update (SSU) (KB4490628) or a later SSU update. If you use Windows Update, the SSU will be offered to you automatically. To get the standalone package for the SSU, search for it in the Microsoft Update Catalog.
- SHA-2 update (KB4474419) released September 10, 2019. If you use Windows Update, the latest SHA-2 update will be offered to you automatically. For more information on SHA-2 updates, see 2019 SHA-2 Code Signing Support requirement for Windows and WSUS.
After these updates are installed, we strongly recommend that you also install the latest servicing stack update (SSU) (KB4516655). If you are using Windows Update, the latest SSU will be offered to you automatically. To get the standalone package for the latest SSU, search for it in the Microsoft Update Catalog.
Install this update
To install this update, use one of the following release channels.
|Release Channel||Available||Next Step|
|Windows Update and Microsoft Update||Yes|| |
None. This update will be downloaded and installed automatically from Windows Update for the following versions:
For all other versions, see the other options below.
|Microsoft Update Catalog||Yes||To get the standalone package for this update, go to the Microsoft Update Catalog website.|
|Windows Server Update Services (WSUS)||Yes|| |
This update will automatically synchronize with WSUS if you configure Products and Classifications as follows:
Product: Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2, Windows 7 Service Pack 1, Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1, Windows Server 2012, Windows Embedded 8 Standard, Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2012 R2
Classification: Security Updates
Known issues in this security update
We are not aware of any issues in this update.
The English (United States) version of this software update installs files that have the attributes that are listed in the following tables.
Note The MANIFEST files (.manifest) and MUM files (.mum) that are installed are not listed.
Windows 8.1, Windows RT 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2
Windows Server 2012
Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2