IMPORTANT We have been evaluating the public health situation and understand the impact this is having on many of our customers. To help ease some of the burdens customers are facing, we are going to delay the scheduled end of service date for the Home, Pro, Pro Education, Pro for Workstations, and IoT Core editions of Windows 10, version 1809 to November 10, 2020. This means devices will receive monthly security updates only from May to November. The final security update for these editions of Windows 10, version 1809 will be released on November 10, 2020 instead of May 12, 2020.
Note This release also contains updates for Microsoft HoloLens (OS Build 17763.1217) released May 12, 2020. Microsoft will release an update directly to the Windows Update Client to improve Windows Update reliability on Microsoft HoloLens that have not updated to this most recent OS Build.
- Updates to improve security when using Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge.
- Updates to improve security when using Microsoft Office products.
- Updates to improve security when using input devices such as a mouse, keyboard, or stylus.
- Updates to improve security when using Microsoft Xbox.
- Updates for verifying usernames and passwords.
- Updates to improve security when Windows performs basic operations.
- Updates for storing and managing files.
Improvements and fixes
This security update includes quality improvements. Key changes include:
- Updates the 2020 start date for daylight saving time (DST) in the Kingdom of Morocco.
- Adds Shell Launcher v2 to improve reliability and usability. Shell launcher v2 allows you to specify a Universal Windows Platform (UWP) app as the replacement shell. For more information, see Use Shell Launcher to create a Windows 10 kiosk.
- Addresses an issue that prevents a call to NCryptGetProperty() from returning the correct pbOutput value when pszProperty is set to "Algorithm Group" and you are using a Trusted Platform Module (TPM) 1.2 device.
- Security updates to Internet Explorer, the Microsoft Scripting Engine, Windows App Platform and Frameworks, Microsoft Graphics Component, Windows Input and Composition, Windows Media, Windows Shell, Microsoft Xbox, Microsoft Edge, Windows Fundamentals, Windows Cryptography, Windows Authentication, Windows Kernel, Windows Linux, Windows Update Stack, Windows Core Networking, Internet Information Services, Windows Network Security and Containers, Windows Active Directory, Windows Storage and Filesystems, and the Microsoft JET Database Engine.
If you installed earlier updates, only the new fixes contained in this package will be downloaded and installed on your device.
For more information about the resolved security vulnerabilities, please refer to the Security Update Guide.
Windows Update Improvements
Microsoft has released an update directly to the Windows Update client to improve reliability. Any device running Windows 10 configured to receive updates automatically from Windows Update, including Enterprise and Pro editions, will be offered the latest Windows 10 feature update based on device compatibility and Windows Update for Business deferral policy. This doesn't apply to long-term servicing editions.
Known issues in this update
|After installing KB4493509, devices with some Asian language packs installed may receive the error, "0x800f0982 - PSFX_E_MATCHING_COMPONENT_NOT_FOUND."|| |
Note If reinstalling the language pack does not mitigate the issue, reset your PC as follows:
Microsoft is working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release.
How to get this update
Before installing this update
Microsoft strongly recommends you install the latest servicing stack update (SSU) for your operating system before installing the latest cumulative update (LCU). SSUs improve the reliability of the update process to mitigate potential issues while installing the LCU and applying Microsoft security fixes. For general information about SSUs, see Servicing stack updates and Servicing Stack Updates (SSU): Frequently Asked Questions.
Install this update
|Release Channel||Available||Next Step|
|Windows Update and Microsoft Update||Yes||None. This update will be downloaded and installed automatically from Windows Update.|
|Microsoft Update Catalog||Yes||To get the standalone package for this update, go to the Microsoft Update Catalog website.|
|Windows Server Update Services (WSUS)||Yes|| |
This update will automatically sync with WSUS if you configure Products and Classifications as follows:
Product: Windows 10Classification: Security Updates
For a list of the files that are provided in this update, download the file information for cumulative update 4551853.
Note Some files erroneously have “Not applicable” in the “File version” column of the CSV file. This might lead to false positives or false negatives when using some third-party scan detection tools to validate the build.