If you're having problems with your Surface Earbuds, you can reset them to the original factory settings or reset the firmware. The type of reset you should use depends on what kind of problem you're having.
Type of reset
You can't connect your Surface Earbuds to your PC or phone after a few tries.
Reset Surface Earbuds to factory settings
When you reset your Surface Earbuds to the default factory settings, any pairing information, equalizer adjustments, and language settings are removed. Your earbuds will go back to the original factory settings and you'll need to set up your Surface Earbuds again.
If your earbuds aren’t connecting, put them back in the charging case for at least 15 seconds, and then take them out to reconnect. If that doesn’t fix the problem, continue and reset them.
There are two ways you can reset your earbuds to the default factory settings:
1. Use the charging case
Press and hold the Pair button on the bottom of the charging case for 20 seconds. The light on the case will alternate between flashing white and red. Afterwards, the light will continuously flash white when your earbuds are in pairing mode.
2. Use the Surface Audio app
First, connect your earbuds to your iOS device, Android device, or Windows 10 PC over Bluetooth. For more info, see Set up Surface Earbuds. After that, reset them using the Surface Audio app.
- On a Windows 10 PC: Open the Surface Audio app, then under Devices, select Surface Earbuds. Select Device details, select Reset now under Factory reset, and then select Reset now to confirm.
- On an iOS device or Android device: Open the Surface Audio app, then select Settings next to Surface Earbuds. In Device Settings, select Factory reset, and then select Reset to confirm.
After you reset your earbuds, you’ll need to set them up again. To learn how to set up your earbuds, see Set up Surface Earbuds.
Reset the firmware for your Surface Earbuds
This will reset the firmware for your Surface Earbuds and the charging case.
On a Windows 10 PC
- Plug the USB cable into your PC or into a USB power adapter (not included) for a wall outlet.
- Press and hold the Pair button on the bottom of the charging case for less than 20 seconds.
Note: Make sure you don't hold the Pair button down for longer than 20 seconds. If you do, it'll reset your Surface Earbuds to the default factory settings.
- While still holding down the Pair button, connect the USB-C end to your case.
- Release the Pair button.