This article describes the issuesthat are fixed in Update Rollup 10 for Microsoft System Center Data ProtectionManager 2016. This article also contains the installationinstructions for this update.
Note: Existing Data ProtectionManager to Microsoft Azure customers should apply the mandatory updateof Microsoft Azure Recovery Services (MARS) agent version 2.0.9190.0 or aboveand verify the encryption passphrase using the steps provided in this KB article. Ifthe latest agent is not installed, online backup and recovery may fail, and noData Protection Manager to Microsoft Azure operation will work.
Issues that are fixed
This update fixes the followingissues:
- DiskUtilization Report was not reflecting Modern Backup Storage usage.
- Insome scenarios, re-protecting an inactive workload re-calculates the requireddisk space to be excessively large
- ModifyProtection Group operation may take a long time, while protecting large numberof client machines in a single protection group
- InSQL Always On configuration with a Failover cluster backup, sometimes the backupswill fail because the backup preferences are not honored.
- Preand Post Backup scripts don’t work with RCT based Hyper-V workloads
- Hyper-VVM protection fails when the total size of the VM file name and DPM mountpath is more than 256 characters.
- Consistencycheck for deduped enabled NTFS volumes fails with error: ID30134 Details: Cannot create a file when that file already exists (0x800700B7)
- SharePointbackup fails when SQL server is different domain than the front-end SharePointserver. Refer More Information section for additional details.
- DPM console crashes when attempting to restore clusteredVMs with network throttling turned on.
- In addition to these, all the issues fixed in SC DPM 2016 Update Rollup 9 and prior UR for DPM 2016 are also included in SC DPM 2016 UR10.
OtherImprovements and Features
- SCDPM 2016 UR10 has a new optimizedcapability for backup data migration. For details on the new feature refer tothe documentation here.
- Latest report files are not automatically updated afterinstalling the Update Rollup 10. Learnmore.
How to obtain Update Rollup 10 for System Center 2016 Data Protection Manager
Update packages for Data ProtectionManager are available from Microsoft Update or by manual download.
To obtain and install an updatepackage from Microsoft Update, follow these steps on a computer that hasa Data Protection Manager component installed:
- Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
- In Control Panel, double-click Windows Update.
- In the Windows Update window, click Check Online for updates from Microsoft Update.
- Click Important updates are available.
- Select the Update Rollup package, and then click OK.
- Click Install updates to install the update package.
Go to the following website tomanually download the update package from the Microsoft Update Catalog:
For information about how todownload Microsoft support files, click the following article number to viewthe article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
119591 Howto obtain Microsoft support files from online services
Microsoft scanned this file forviruses, using the most current virus-detection software that was available onthe date that the file was posted. The file is stored on security-enhancedservers that help prevent any unauthorized changes to it.
Installation instructions for Data Protection Manager
To install this updatefor Data Protection Manager, follow these steps:
- Before you install this update, make a backup of the DataProtection Manager database.
- Install this rollup package on the server that's running SystemCenter Data Protection Manager 2016. To do this, run Microsoft Update on theserver.
- In the Data Protection Manager Administrator Console, update theprotection agents. To do this, use one of the following methods.
Note: You need torestart protected servers in order to create or change protection groups.
Method 1: Update theprotection agents from the Data Protection Manager Administrator Console
- Open the Data Protection Manager Administrator Console.
- Click the Management tab, and then clickthe Agents tab.
- In the Protected Computer list, select a computer,and then click Update on the Action pane.
- Click Yes, and then click Update Agents.
Method 2: Update theprotection agents on the protected servers
- Obtain the update protection agent package from the following directory on the System Center 2016 Data Protection Manager server:
- For x86 based updates: i386\DPMProtectionAgent_KB4578608.msp
- For x64 bsaed updates: amd\1033\DPMProtectionAgent_KB4578608_amd64.msp
If the SQL Databaseserver for SharePoint farm is in different domain than SharePoint farm, theprotection of SharePoint farm may fail. This happens when the NetBIOS name ofSQL server was used during SharePoint installation instead of FQDN. Toresolve this issue either you can reinstall SharePoint farm by specifyingFQDN of the SQL Server or use following registry key. You first need toinstall this Update Rollup package on the DPM Server
Add the followingregistry key on all the SharePoint Web Front End Servers,
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MicrosoftData Protection Manager\Agent\Sharepoint
Value: <Domain nameof the SQL Server>