- Some user interface items that were localized in the Language Interface Pack appear in the English language or to the original language of your Windows XP installation.
- New features in Windows XP SP2, such as the Security Center, appear in English or in the original language of your Windows XP installation.
Update informationThe following file is available for download from the Microsoft Download Center:
Download the WindowsXP-KB883921-X86-ENU.exe package now.
For more information about how to download Microsoft support files, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
PrerequisitesTo install this update, you must be running Windows XP SP2 and have a language interface pack installed.
Restart requirementYou do not have to restart your computer after you install this update.
Update replacement informationThis update does not replace any other updates.
File informationThe following files are updated by the update that is described here.
Note These files depend on the particular LIP or MUI that you install. For a particular language interface pack installation, only some of these files may be installed.
The binary files in the base operating system in Windows XP SP2 are different from the binary files in earlier versions of Windows XP. When Windows XP starts, it loads the resources in the MUI files that are included in a LIP or MUI if certain conditions are met. The update package that is available on the Windows Update site provides updated MUI files for the LIP or MUI that match the new the binary files in the base operating system.
The update package also provides the following necessary items:
- An updated "Getting Started Guide" for the LIP that includes Windows XP SP2-specific information.
- An updated resource dynamic link library (DLL) file, Xpsp2res.dll, that improves localization support for Windows XP SP2 in the the LIP or MUI .
- MUI files that support Windows Media Player 9 and Windows Movie Maker 2. These features are new in Windows XP SP2.
Article ID: 883921 - Last Review: Mar 29, 2017 - Revision: 4