The Windows Update Web site provides security updates for Microsoft Windows operating systems. The Microsoft Update Web site provides these updates in addition to updates for other Microsoft programs, such as Microsoft Office. By default, your Microsoft Windows 2000-based, Microsoft Windows Server 2003-based or Microsoft Windows XP-based computer will access the Windows Update Web site. If you would like to receive updates for other Microsoft programs please perform the steps that are listed below.
I am currently using Windows Update. How can I access Microsoft Update?To use Microsoft Update instead of Windows Update, follow these steps:
- Visit the following Microsoft Web site:
- Click Start Now.
- On the Review the license agreement page, click Continue.
- Click Install.
Note You may not be prompted to install the Microsoft Update software if this software is already available on the computer.
I am currently using Microsoft Update. How can I access Windows Update?To stop using the Microsoft Update Web site and start using the Windows Update Web site, follow these steps:
- On the Microsoft Update site, click Change Settings.
- Scroll down the page, click to select the Disable Microsoft Update software and let me use Windows Update only check box, and then click Apply changes now.
- You receive the following message: Click Yes.
327838 How to schedule automatic updates in Windows Server 2003, in Windows XP, and in Windows 2000
Article ID: 901037 - Last Review: Apr 29, 2008 - Revision: 1