Windows 7 language packs are available for computers that are running Windows 7 Ultimate or Windows 7 Enterprise. The Windows 7 language packs can be installed only from the Optional Updates section in Windows Update. However, these language packs are not available on the Microsoft Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) server or through the Microsoft Download Center.
How to install a Windows 7 language packTo download and install a Windows 7 language pack, follow these steps:
- Start Microsoft Update. To do this, click Start , type Windows Update in the Search programs and files box, and then click Windows Update in the Programs list.
- Click the optional update links for the language packs.
Note If the optional update links cannot be found, click Check online for updates from Microsoft Update to search the optional updates.
- Under the Windows 7 Language Packs category,select the desired language pack.
Note If you install many additional language packs, the disk space and system performance are affected. In particular, disk space and system performance are affected during servicing operations, such as Service Pack installations. Therefore, we recommend that you only add a language pack to your computer if you will use the language pack.
- Click OK, and then click Install updates to start the download and installation process.
How to change the interface of Windows 7 after a language pack is installedWhen you install a language pack, you can change the interface language of Windows 7 to the language that you select.
Language packs also let multiple users who share a computer select distinct display languages. For example, one user can select to see the dialog boxes, menus, and other text in Japanese, whereas another user can select to see the same content in French.
To change the display language, follow these steps:
- Click Start, and then type Change display language in the Start Search box.
- Click Change display language.
- In the drop-down list that appears, select the language that you want, and then click OK.
How to uninstall a Windows 7 language packTo uninstall a language pack, follow these steps:
- Click Start, and then type Uninstall display language in the Start Search box.
- Click Install or uninstall display languages.
- Click Uninstall display languages.
- Select the language or the languages that you want to uninstall, and then click Next.
- Follow the rest of the steps to uninstall this language or these languages.
- Click the Windows 7 Language Packs category in the Select the updates you want to install page to highlight all the language packs.
- Right-click the highlighted updates, and then select Hide update.