Note This article does not apply to Windows 8 or later.
- The .NET Framework 4
- The .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
- The .NET Framework 3.0 SP2
- The .NET Framework 2.0 SP2
To do this, follow these steps:
- Check out the .NET Framework Cleanup Tool User's Guide.
- Download the .NET Framework cleanup tool.
- When you are prompted, click Open, and then click Extract Now.
- In the files that you extracted, double-click cleanup_tool.exe.
If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, provide the password, and then click Continue.
- In the Do you want to run the .NET Framework Setup Cleanup Utility? message, click Yes.
- Click Yes to accept the license agreement.
- In the Product to cleanup window, click the list, select .NET Framework - All Versions, and then click Cleanup Now.
Note The cleanup tool does not let you remove the .NET Framework 2.0 in Windows Vista or later versions of Windows because the .NET Framework is installed as an operating system component.
- After the .NET Framework is removed, restart the computer.
- Download and install the following components:
- Restart the computer.
- Visit Windows Update again, and then check for and install updates.
- Try to reinstall the .NET Framework update.
- The update is not installed.
- The system keeps reminding you to install this update even though you have already installed it.
- The desktop does not appear.