What's the default name of the OneDrive Music folder?
The default name of the folder in OneDrive is "Music." If you have an existing Music folder, OneDrive will use that one.Can I rename my Music folder?
You can rename or move your Music folder without losing any content. If you rename it, you can still link to it at onedrive.live.com
.What happens when I delete songs in OneDrive from my Groove collection?
If you delete a song located in your OneDrive Music folder from your Groove collection, you'll get a warning notice. Approving the deletion will remove the file in OneDrive, and you won't see it on any of your devices.Note
Deleted files remain in your OneDrive recycle bin
for 30 days and can be recovered there.What happens when I delete songs from my OneDrive Music folder?
Songs deleted from your OneDrive Music folder will be removed from your Groove collection on all devices.Note
Deleted files remain in your OneDrive recycle bin
for 30 days and can be recovered there.How can I recover a deleted Music folder?
You can recover the deleted Music folder from the OneDrive recycle bin
Once you've recovered your Music folder, we recommend that you make sure your music is showing up.
You can also recreate the Music folder by using the Groove Web player (http://music.microsoft.com
) and signing in with your Microsoft account.
Which devices can I use to play my OneDrive music content?
You can play OneDrive music on the following devices:
What file formats are supported?
- Windows 10 or Windows 8.1 computer or tablet
- Windows Phone 10 or Windows Phone 8.1 (using the Music app)
- Xbox One or Xbox 360 console
- On iOS and Android using the Microsoft Groove app:
- Through a web browser on the Groove webplayer.
You can add MP3, M4A (AAC), and WMA music files to your OneDrive Music folder.Note
Some M4A files may not play correctly (such as AAC Lossless files). Also, protected WMA files can't be added to your collection. To find out if your files are protected, right-click the Music folder in Windows Explorer (or File Explorer). Look in the details section to see whether the file is marked as protected.Is there a limit to the number of files I can have in my Music collection?
You can store up to 50,000 music files in your collection.Do I need a Groove Music Pass to play music from OneDrive?
No. A Groove Music Pass is not required to play your OneDrive music. It's free!
How can I prevent my music in OneDrive from showing up on all my Groove devices?
You can create another folder for your music on OneDrive and move your content there. This will prevent that music from showing up on other devices. (Only content in the Music folder will show up on other devices.)Some of my music isn't showing up
If your music isn't showing up correctly:
- Make sure your device supports OneDrive music. Music will not show up on Windows 8, Windows Phone 8, Zune, or Windows Media Player. To find out whether your device supports OneDrive content, See System requirements above.
- Make sure your music is in your OneDrive Music folder.
- Make sure your music files are one of the supported file types: MP3, M4A, or WMA unprotected. WMA files downloaded through a Groove Music Pass are typically protected. Protected files added to your OneDrive Music folder will not show up on other devices.
- Check to see that you're not over the 50,000 track limit in your Music collection. If you have more than 50K files in your OneDrive music folder, only the first 50K files will show.
Note Co-owned (or shared) folders are not supported.
If your music still doesn't show up, try the following steps:
- Start Internet Explorer and open an InPrivate Session.
- Go to Groove and sign in with your Microsoft account.
- Select "In OneDrive" and look for your music.
- If it doesn't appear, wait about 5 minutes for your music to be synced to OneDrive.
- Refresh the page. Your music should now appear.
If this doesn't resolve the issue, contact Xbox Support. I don't see my music on a specific deviceIf you don't see your music on Windows:
If your music isn't showing up on Windows 10 or Windows 8.1, follow the steps in Some of my music isn't showing up
, above. If you don't see your music on Windows Phone:
If you don't see your music on Xbox One:
- Check that you're connected to the Internet (ideally over Wi-Fi with good connectivity).
- Make sure the app is closed. (To close it, tap the left arrow.)
- Restart the Music app.
- Wait at least 5 minutes, keeping the app in the foreground (don't start any other apps).
- If your music doesn't show up in the Albums view, make sure you set your filter to Streaming.
Note If you don't have a Groove Music Pass, streaming will only apply to Groove purchases and the content in your OneDrive Music folder.
- Restart the console by unplugging the power cable and plugging it back in.
- Start the Groove app.
- Go to the Collection view. You will see the message "Your Collection is syncing."
- Your music will appear within 5 minutes.
If your music still doesn't appear, contact Support
.If you don't see your music on Xbox 360:
Check to see if your music appears on the Groove website
. If not, contact Support
.I can see my music, but I can't play it
If your music files are M4A, such as iTunes AAC Lossless files, they won't play on Groove. However, standard non-Lossless iTunes purchases will play on all devices.
If you are seeing a deleted track, close Groove on your device and then restart it. This will trigger a resync with your Music collection. Once this is completed, the deleted tracks should disappear.
If you're still experiencing issues, contact Support
.Some of my music files in OneDrive have disappeared
If you find that some of your music has disappeared and you did not delete the files, check the following:
- Are these files in your OneDrive Music folder, or in a different folder? Music files must be in the OneDrive Music folder.
- Were the files deleted? If so, you can recover them in the OneDrive recycle bin.
You can recover files from the recycle bin within 30 days of deleting them. There's Groove Music Pass content in my Music collection, and it plays a 30-second preview
If you no longer have a Groove Music Pass but still have songs or albums on your device, you can choose to Reset
in your Groove settings.