Update 2830477 install from Windows Update fails with error 0x8004401E
Consider the following scenario:
- You have a computer that's running Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1).
- You select a language setting that includes multiple preinstalled language packs.
- You let the system go idle.
- You access Windows Update to download and install update 2830477.
In this scenario, the installation process fails and triggers error 0x8004401e.
When the system goes idle for 30 minutes or more, some unused language pack files and registry keys are deleted by a background LPremove task.
To work around the issue follow these steps:
- Open an administrative command prompt, and the run the following command:sfc /scannow
- Wait for the system file scanning to finish.
- Install update 2830477.
For information about other issues that may occur on systems that have more than one language pack installed, see the following Microsoft KB articles:
3049255 You receive one or more .admx errors when you run the Local Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc) in Windows
2958845 Nothing happens when you double-click "Region" in Control Panel
Article ID: 3083824 - Last Review: 08/06/2015 21:58:00 - Revision: 1.0
Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 7 Home Basic, Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Starter, Windows 7 Ultimate
- kbsurveynew kbtshoot kbexpertiseadvanced KB3083824