MS16-054: Description of the security update for Office 2016 for Mac: May 10, 2016
This security update resolves vulnerabilities in Microsoft Office that could allow remote code execution if a user opens a specially crafted Office file. To learn more about these vulnerabilities, see Microsoft Security Bulletin MS16-054. Microsoft Office 2016 for Mac includes versions of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, and Outlook that are designed for the Mac and yet are unmistakably Office. The May 10, 2016, update provides fixes for issues in the Office 2016 for Mac Suite that affect Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote.
- To install this update, you must be running OS X Yosemite 10.10 or a later version, and you must have a valid Microsoft Office 365 subscription. Additionally, see more information about Office 365 subscription options.
- If you already have Office for Mac 2011 installed, you can run Office for Mac 2011 and Office 2016 for Mac side-by-side. If you want to remove Office for Mac 2011, see Uninstall Office 2011 for Mac.
- If you are prompted for a password when you install this update, enter the administrator password on Mac OS X. For more information, see Mac OS X: Software installations require administrator password.
Improvements and fixesThis update provides the following fixes and improvements.
- Outlook now fully supports Arabic and Hebrew, including right-to-left layout and editing.
- Select from more fonts and colors, more styles for bulleted and numbered lists, and better hyperlinks. Use Autocorrect. Resize and format pictures while composing.
- You can now save your PowerPoint deck as a PDF by using the Save As command.
- If a slide contains a video that has closed captions or multiple audio tracks, you can now play these tracks in your slideshow.
Microsoft Auto Update for Mac version 3.5.0
- Fixes an issue that causes the app to crash after downloading updates.
- Adds support for Slow and Fast levels for the Office Insider program. Both levels provide earlier access to Office 2016 for Mac with the Fast level getting more frequent updates.
How to obtain and install the update
Method 1: Microsoft AutoUpdate for Mac
This update is available from Microsoft AutoUpdate. AutoUpdate is provided together with Office. It automatically keeps Microsoft software up-to-date. To use AutoUpdate, start a Microsoft Office program, and then click Check for Updates on the Help menu.
Method 2: Microsoft Download Center
Security update deployment informationFor deployment information about this update, see Microsoft Knowledge Base article 3155544.
Update replacement informationThis security update replaces security update 3142577.
How to obtain help and support for this security update
Article ID: 3155777 - Last Review: 05/10/2016 20:21:00 - Revision: 2.0
Microsoft Office 2016 for Mac
- kbsurveynew kbfix kbbug kbexpertiseinter kbsecbulletin kbsecvulnerability atdownload kbsecurity KB3155777