Cumulative update for Windows 10: June 14, 2016
This security update includes improvements and fixes in the functionality of Windows 10. It also resolves the following vulnerabilities in Windows:
- 3163649 MS16-063: Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer: June 14, 2016
- 3163656 MS16-068: Cumulative security update for Microsoft Edge: June 14, 2016
- 3163622 MS16-072: Security update for Group Policy: June 14, 2016
- 3164028 MS16-073: Security update for kernel mode drivers: June 14, 2016
- 3164036 MS16-074: Security Update for Microsoft graphics component: June 14, 2016
- 3164038 MS16-075: Security Update for Windows SMB Server: June 14, 2016
- 3165191 MS16-077: Security update for Web Proxy Autodiscovery (WPAD): June 14, 2016
- 3165479 MS16-078: Security update to Windows Diagnostic Hub: June 14, 2016
- 3164302 MS16-080: Security update for Microsoft Windows PDF: June 14, 2016
- 3165270 MS16-082: Security update for Windows Structured Query: June 14, 2016
Windows 10 updates are cumulative. Therefore, this package contains all previously released fixes. If you have installed earlier updates, only the new fixes that are contained in this package will be downloaded and installed on your computer. If you are installing a Windows 10 update package for the first time, the package for the x86 version is 320 MB and the package for the x64 version is 680 MB.
MS16-072 changes the security context with which user group policies are retrieved. This by-design behavior change protects customers’ computers from a security vulnerability. Before MS16-072 is installed, user group policies were retrieved by using the user’s security context. After MS16-072 is installed, user group policies are retrieved by using the computer's security context. This issue is applicable for the following KB articles:
- 3159398 MS16-072: Description of the security update for Group Policy: June 14, 2016
- 3163017 Cumulative update for Windows 10: June 14, 2016
- 3163018 Cumulative update for Windows 10 Version 1511 and Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 4: June 14, 2016
- 3163016 Cumulative Update for Windows Server 2016 Technical Preview 5: June 14 2016
SymptomsAll user Group Policy, including those that have been security filtered on user accounts or security groups, or both, may fail to apply on domain joined computers.
CauseThis issue may occur if the Group Policy Object is missing the Read permissions for the Authenticated Users group or if you are using security filtering and are missing Read permissions for the domain computers group.
ResolutionTo resolve this issue, use the Group Policy Management Console (GPMC.MSC) and follow one of the following steps:
- Add the Authenticated Users group with Read Permissions on the Group Policy Object (GPO).
- If you are using security filtering, add the Domain Computers group with read permission.
Important If you install a language pack after you install this update, you must reinstall this update. Therefore, we recommend that you install any language packs that you need before you install this update. For more information, see Add language packs to Windows.
How to get this update
Method 1: Windows UpdateThis update will be downloaded and installed automatically.
Method 2: Microsoft Update CatalogTo get the stand-alone package for this update, go to the Microsoft Update Catalog website.
PrerequisitesThere are no prerequisites for installing this update.
Restart informationYou must restart the computer after you apply this update.
Update replacement informationThis update replaces the previously released update 3156387.
For a list of the files that are provided in this cumulative update, download the file information for cumulative update 3163017.
File hash information
|File name||SHA1 hash||SHA256 hash|
Learn about the terminology that Microsoft uses to describe software updates.
Article ID: 3163017 - Last Review: 06/16/2016 21:14:00 - Revision: 2.0
- kbsurveynew atdownload kbfix kbexpertiseadvanced kbcontentauto KB3163017