Cumulative Update 3 for System Center 2016 Virtual Machine Manager Technical Preview 5
Issues that are fixed in this cumulative update
- Issue 1: Inconsistent experience with the Network Address Translation (NAT) UI. NAT UI in VMM 2016 technical Preview 5 has following issues:
- All the IP (VIP in addition to DIP) pools are shown in the drop-down option while configuring NAT rules.
- Existing NAT connections are not displayed in the UI after the wizard is closed and reopened.
- Users can’t choose specific IP addresses from the IP pools through the UI.
- Issue 2: Failures with rolling Upgrades. When you try a Rolling Upgrade by using VMM to upgrade 2012 R2 Clusters to 2016 Clusters, and if Host Management virtual network adapters (vNICs) are configured by using a static IP address for management communication, then you receive following error message:The specified address (00:1D:D8:B7:1C:23) is already allocated by an address pool (Default MAC address pool).
Specify an address that is not already allocated by the address pool.
This mac address is already assigned to one of the virtual switches on a server in the cluster.
- Issue 3: Failure in deploying Load Balancing/Failover (LBFO) to management physical NICs (pNICs). When you try to deploy LBFO on non-management pNICs where member pNICs have the "register to DNS" setting enabled, then the deployment may get stuck while it waits to regain connectivity to the VMM Server.
- Issue 4: An incorrect Port profile ID on Network Controller Software Load Balancer Multiplexer virtual machines (SLB MUX VMs). SLB MUX VMs are not set with a correct Port Profile ID and Port Profile data and this may result in connectivity issues.
- Issue 5: Updating VM properties leads to failure. Updating Description or Operating System after VM creation causes the VM to go into the failed state. The job to update the VM properties fails and you receive the following error message:Error (661)
This operation cannot be completed because the virtual machine must be turned off.
- Issue 6: Logical Switch deployment with third-party extension fails. If you try to deploy a Logical Switch which has one or more third-party extensions enabled, then you will encounter an error related to extension reordering.
- Issue 7: Network Controller connectivity issues with a CA-based certificate. if you try to deploy the Network Controller and use CA-based a certificate for authentication, then VMM faces connectivity issues with Network Controller managed Hyper-V hosts.
- Issue 8: Enabling NAT rule for a VM Network. If you try to create and apply a NAT rule for all the VMs throughout a VM Network, you receive the following error message:VMM is unable to process one or more of the provided cmdlet parameters. (Error ID: 1600)
- Issue 9: Can't complete Bare Metal Deployment with SET by using VMM. When you try to deploy bare metal systems by using a SET switch, the deployment fails almost instantly after the job starts to run and you receive the following error message:Error (21566)
The specified physical network adapter 8ef03a8f-8d8d-4d6c-ac9f-dad716a15933 is configured to use the same logical switch switch_name as another physical network adapter 619d399f-fba9-4e4b-b959-2d2fec18795e, but the logical switch does not support teaming.
Make sure each non-teamed physical network adapter uses a different logical switch, or configure the logical switch to support teaming to team the physical network adapters.
- Issue 10: Can’t deploy a VM when you use Storage Classification. When you assign a Storage Classification to a Cloud, Storage Device and Template, deployment of the template fails.
When you deploy a template to the Host instead of to the Cloud, destination for the VM files still must be manually specified instead of it automatically populating based on storage classification.
- Issue 11: Port Profile and Port Data are appended instead of being overwritten. When you change the properties of VM vNIC (by using Set-VirtualNetworkAdapter), VMM will try to reset the port profiles. VMM will calculate the difference of the port profiles with existing port profiles and will add, delete or update as needed. If there is a calculation difference, VMM doesn’t compare the difference correctly with an existing port profile causing duplicate port profiles.
- Issue 12: Uplink information is lost for SET switches deployed on Nano Server after a refresh. If you deploy a SET enabled Logical switch on a Nano host and then refresh the server, the switch loses its uplink information after the refresh.
Known issuesWhen you try to install Cumulative Update 2 for System Center 2016 Virtual Machine Manager Technical Preview 5 in a Technical Preview 5 (or on Cumulative Update 1 for Technical Preview 5) environment that has a Logical Switch (network controller managed) with uplink mode as Team, could lead to the following issues:
- A logical switch compliance issue in which you receive the following error message:Error (26809)
The virtual switch configuration does not match the expected uplink mode setting of UplinkMode from the logical switch.
In VMM, remediate the compliance of this virtual switch on the Hyper-V host.
- A failure of a logical switch deployment
To work around this issue, run the following script on the VMM Database:
-- TP5 contains SET switches as 'Team' uplink mode with NC managed-- SET without NC support adds a new 'Embedded Team' uplink mode-- Convert the uplink mode from 'Team' to 'Embedded Team' for NC managed switchesUPDATE [dbo].[tbl_NetMan_LogicalSwitch]SET UplinkMode = 3 -- Embedded TeamWHERE UplinkMode = 2 AND ID IN ( -- Find logical switches with MS Azure VFP Extension (MS Network Controller) SELECT ls.LogicalSwitchID FROM [dbo].[tbl_NetMan_LogicalSwitchToVsemExtension] ls INNER JOIN [dbo].[tbl_NetMan_VirtualSwitchExtension] vse ON ls.VsemExtensionId = vse.ID WHERE vse.DriverNetCfgInstanceID = 'E9B59CFA-2BE1-4B21-828F-B6FBDBDDC017' -- Microsoft Azure VFP Extension )GO
How to obtain and install Cumulative Update 3 for System Center 2016 Virtual Machine Manager Technical Preview 5
Download informationUpdate packages for Virtual Machine Manager are available by manual download.
Manual download of the update packagesGo to the following websites to manually download the update packages from the Microsoft Update Catalog:
To manually install the update packages, run the following command from an elevated command prompt:
For example, to install the Cumulative Update 3 package for a System Center 2016 Virtual Machine Manager Technical Preview 5 server (KB3164176), run the following command:
Note When you perform an update to a cumulative update on the VMM server, the update requires installing both the VMM Server and Administrator Console updates. For more information, see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Applies toThis article applies to the following:
- Microsoft System Center 2016 Virtual Machine Manager Technical Preview 5
Article ID: 3164176 - Last Review: 07/29/2016 19:38:00 - Revision: 3.0
- kbqfe kbsurveynew kbfix kbexpertiseinter atdownload KB3164176