Critical update for SQL Server 2016 MSVCRT prerequisites
Microsoft has identified a problem that affects the Microsoft VC++ 2013 Runtime binaries that are installed as a prerequisite by SQL Server 2016. An update is available to correct this problem. If this update to the VC++ Runtime binaries is not installed, SQL Server 2016 may experience stability issues in certain situations.
The following update is available from the Microsoft Download Center:
How to obtain this cumulative update package
We recommend that you check the build version of the Microsoft VC Runtime DLLs that are installed on servers that have, or will have, SQL Server 2016 installed. You should install KB3138367 if the build version of %SystemRoot%\system32\msvcr120.dll is not 12.0.40649.5 or later. To check the file version, open Windows Explorer, locate and then right-click the %SystemRoot%\system32\msvcr120.dll file, click Properties, and then click the Details tab.
For more information about the update to the VC Runtime DLLs, including instructions to manually install the update, see the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article:
3138367 Update for Visual C++ 2013 and Visual C++ Redistributable Package
Alternatively, a SQL Server update that contains the updated VCRT libraries is being made available: Critical Update for SQL Server 2016 MSVCRT Prerequisites (KB3164398). KB3164398 is available any of the following methods:
- SQL Server 2016 Setup has a mechanism that checks for important online updates during the installation process, assuming that it has Internet access to Microsoft servers. During this process, if you have not installed KB3138367, you have the option to accept KB3164398 as part of the installation process. If you do not accept the offered update, the installation will continue to be exposed to the problem until the Microsoft VC Runtime binaries are updated through another mechanism.
- If the system has Internet access to Microsoft servers, post-installation of SQL Server 2016 Microsoft Update will install KB3164398 as a critical non-security update to SQL Server 2016. This will update the VCRT libraries if they are not at version 12.0.40649.5 or later.
- Lastly, KB3164398 is available for download on the Microsoft Download Center.
- KB3168691 Can't install Microsoft R Server (Standalone) on a Windows Server Core operating system
- KB3166120 FIX: "Could not find stored procedure 'sys.sp_cdc_parse_captured_column_list'" when you enable CDC for a table in SQL Server 2016
Microsoft will be refreshing the SQL Server 2016 RTM release packages at a future date by including the updated Microsoft VC Runtime binaries. Customers who download refreshed SQL Server 2016 RTM packages after that point will not experience this problem.
Later servicing releases of SQL Server 2016 (CU1 and later versions) will have the updated binaries installed as part of the servicing update, if this is required.
Article ID: 3164398 - Last Review: 06/12/2016 09:12:00 - Revision: 4.0
Microsoft SQL Server 2016 Developer, Microsoft SQL Server 2016 Enterprise, Microsoft SQL Server 2016 Standard
- kbqfe kbfix kbexpertiseinter kbprb KB3164398