MS16-088: Description of the security update for Office 2016 for Mac: July 12, 2016
This security update resolves vulnerabilities in Microsoft Office that could allow remote code execution if a user opens a specially crafted Office file. To learn more about these vulnerabilities, seeMicrosoft Security Bulletin MS16-088. Microsoft Office 2016 for Mac includes versions of Word, Excel, and PowerPoint that are designed for the Mac. The July 12, 2016, update provides fixes for issues in the Office 2016 for Mac Suite that affect Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- To install this update, you must be running OS X Yosemite 10.10 or a later version, and you must have a valid Microsoft Office 365 subscription. Additionally, seemore information about Office 365 subscription options.
- If you already have Office for Mac 2011 installed, you can run Office for Mac 2011 and Office 2016 for Mac side-by-side. If you want to remove Office for Mac 2011, seeUninstall Office 2011 for Mac.
- If you are prompted for a password when you install this update, enter the administrator password on Mac OS X. For more information, seeMac OS X: Software installations require administrator password.
Improvements and fixesThis update provides the following fixes and improvements.
- Date pickers, drop-down lists, and many other types of content controls in your documents are now interactive on the Mac.
- See documents that others have recently shared with you. For Office 365 subscribers only.
- Keep track of all the objects in your document and rearrange their placement and order.
- See presentations that others have recently shared with you. For Office 365 subscribers only.
- See workbooks that others have recently shared with you. For Office 365 subscribers only.
- Propose an idea for a new feature, or vote on someone else's suggestion by using the Suggest a Feature function on the Help menu.
- Improved performance when you open meeting events with many (1,000+) recipients.
- Attachments will now show up for email messages on iOS.
- Printing month view of calendar is now displayed correctly.
- Improvements to the Time Zone display for meetings.
- Use your mouse or trackpad to write, draw, and highlight with the tools on the new Draw tab.
- New grid and lined paper backgrounds will keep your handwriting and drawings neat and tidy.
- Use your drawing tablet or display that uses a pen or stylus to write, draw, and erase in your notes. It's just like a pen to paper.
How to obtain and install the update
Method 1: Microsoft AutoUpdate for Mac
This update is available from Microsoft AutoUpdate. AutoUpdate is provided together with Office. It automatically keeps Microsoft software up-to-date. To use AutoUpdate, start a Microsoft Office program, and then click Check for Updates on the Help menu.
Method 2: Microsoft Download Center
Security update deployment informationFor deployment information about this update, seeMicrosoft Knowledge Base article 3170008.
Update replacement informationThis security update replaces security updateKB3165798.
How to obtain help and support for this security update
Article ID: 3170460 - Last Review: 07/12/2016 19:52:00 - Revision: 2.1
Microsoft Office 2016 for Mac
- kbsurveynew kbfix kbbug kbexpertiseinter kbsecbulletin kbsecvulnerability atdownload kbsecurity KB3170460