Error message when you open the Windows Address Book or you open Outlook Express after you install cumulative security update 911567 (MS06-016)
- You may receive an error message that resembles the following: unable to open address book. Address book may not be installed correctly
- You may receive an error message that states that you must reinstall Outlook Express or reinstall the Windows Address Book.
- When you open Outlook Express, you may be able to receive e-mail, but you cannot send e-mail or reply to e-mail.
- Uninstall cumulative security update 911567. To remove this update, use the Add or Remove Programs item in Control Panel. System administrators can also use the Spuninst.exe utility to remove this security update.
For more information about how to uninstall software updates, visit the following Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN) Web site:
- Copy the .wab file that is located in the following folder: C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book\<user.wab>Paste a copy of this file in the following folder:C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Desktop\backup.wabNote In this step, <user> is your Microsoft Windows user name. Make sure there is no <user>.wab file on your Desktop.
- Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
- At the command prompt, type the following, and then press ENTER: Del "C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book\<user>.wab"
- Start Outlook Express.
- On the Tools menu, click Address Book. Notice that the Address Book does not contain any contacts.
- On the File menu, point to Import, and then click Address Book.
- Import the backup.wab file that is located in the following folder:C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Desktop
- Install the most recent cumulative security update for Outlook Express. To install the most recent cumulative security update for Outlook Express, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
After you apply these changes, import all contacts that are contained in the old .wab file to the new profile that you have created. All contacts that are contained in the .wab file are imported to the new profile. During importing, folders are not recognized. Therefore, all contacts are imported to the profile. If you have shared groups, these groups are imported to the profile.
Note This resolution does not apply to Outlook Express 5.5 Service Pack 2 (SP2) on a computer that is running Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 (SP4). Microsoft is researching this problem and will post more information in this article when the information becomes available.
Note For more information about security updates, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
Article ID: 917288 - Last Review: 06/20/2014 11:06:00 - Revision: 5.0
- kbresolve kbprb KB917288