Security updates for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 may repeatedly appear in the update list on Microsoft Update or on Windows Update
After Microsoft Update or Windows Update installs a security update for Microsoft XML Core Services (MSXML) 4.0 Service Pack 2 on a Windows XP-based computer, the update may still appear in the update list the next time that you use Microsoft Update or Windows Update. For example, this issue is known to occur with the following security updates:
936181 MS07-042: Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2
954430 MS08-069: Description of the security update for XML Core Services 4.0: November 11, 2008
This issue may occur if one of the system files is corrupted or if it has not been updated correctly.
To resolve this problem, follow these steps:
- Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then press ENTER.
- At the command prompt, type ren %windir%\System32\msxml4.dll msxml4.old, and then press ENTER.
Note After you press ENTER, you may receive the following error message.Cannot find the file specified.Ignore this message, and go to step 3.
- At the command prompt, type exit, and then press ENTER.
- Visit the following Microsoft Web site:
- Download and then install the latest MSXML security update.
Article ID: 941729 - Last Review: 09/27/2011 20:48:00 - Revision: 2.0
Microsoft Windows Update, Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition, Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 Update Rollup 2, Microsoft Update
- kbharmony kbexpertiseinter kbexpertisebeginner kbtshoot KB941729